Thread: Graphics on Ubuntu server

Beans

Graphics on Ubuntu server

Okay, I am looking to write a program for Ubuntu in C. I have a lot to learn, but have done enough programing that I think I can get it figured out eventually.

The problem I am having now is figuring out where to get started with graphics. My needs will be very basic, some buttons a graph and such. I have found Cairo and read enough tutorials to understand the basics and get started with ONE exception. I don't know how to render the image to the screen. I saw how to create a line, box, text and so on, but could not figure out how to make my surface the computer screen. I want to take over the whole screen with my program until I exit. I do not want to use Ubuntu desktop. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I have searched for hours, but only find how to use (in non specific terms) cairo, or how to render in a window on the desktop version.

Thanks,
    Bob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Graphics on Ubuntu server

Normally, you would install the X-Windows server (xorg) and that handles the graphics--that is the purpose for a graphics server. Otherwise you have to write your own, and you won't find many tutorials on how to do that in linux. I would install the desktop version and learn to use the extensive graphics frameworks that already exist. Is this for an embedded platform that can't run the desktop version? If so, there are tiny versions available like tinycore linux.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

It is eventually for a rasberry pi. Memory is a BIG consideration Also my grahpic needs are simple. I just need some basic shapes, some text and some lines.

Bob

Beans

Is there really no way to do graphics without a desktop?

Beans

... I've never done it, but I think the concept you're looking for is a framebuffer device (unless you can manage with just a text/table-based interface, in which case ncurses would probably be the way to go)