Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ripping and burning cds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ripping and burning cds

Unfortunately my trusty Marantz CD Recorder has gone south, so I am wondering what I need to be able to get cd tracks onto my computer and then burn them to a playable cd, and exactly how to do this.

I have looked at various software but frankly am at a loss, so am seeking assistance.
    -merlin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: ripping and burning cds

Hi merlinus.

You can create a copy from a CD using either the preinstalled 'Brasero', or install 'GnomeBaker'. You insert the source CD in your computer, then create an image on your hard disk. Once that is done you can remove the CD, insert the blank one, and burn that image into the new CD.

If you keep that image in your computer, you will be able to listen the content. You can use a player the can read images, like VLC, or mount the image and use any player of your choosing.

Although that may work, it'd use a LOT of space. Another approach would be to rip the source CD into individual tracks using 'Asunder CD Ripper' or 'RipOff'. To save space you can rip to mp3s, but if you want keep 100% the original quality I'd recommend flacc.

Does that help? Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Many thanks for your response! I do not need to keep any of the "ripped" files on my hdd, but want to rip individual tracks so I can re-order the ones from the original cd, or delete some entirely, and then make a new playable cd. I do not think creating an .iso will allow me to do that.

I do know that Brasero can create and then burn audio projects. I would still need individual files, and will the burned cd automatically play on my system? Also, it seems as though the music cds have .wav files, so the ripper would need to use that format rather than flac. I am not at all interested in lossy compression such as .mp3.

I d/l-ed asunder, but could not get it to install. I extracted the files to a local directory, but the sudo make install command did not work. It seemed to need other perameters that I did not understand.
    -merlin

Beans

I d/l-ed asunder, but could not get it to install. I extracted the files to a local directory, but the sudo make install command did not work.
    Asunder is in the Ubuntu Software Center. I would install it from there.

Beans

Since you don't want mp3s or other lossy format, use Asunder to rip the cd tracks into .wav files (lossless) on your computer. You can then pick and choose which to burn to your blank cd media with Brasero (or other burner).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks very much, Dennis -- I have installed Asunder via synaptic. The interface (menu), however, does not seem to allow me to select a source. I inserted a cd, but nothing comes up.

Also, can I then specify the order in which the tracks will be burned in Brasero?
    -merlin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Since you don't want mp3s or other lossy format, use Asunder to rip the cd tracks into .wav files (lossless) on your computer. You can then pick and choose which to burn to your blank cd media with Brasero (or other burner).
    +1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I see in preferences it wants the location of my cd-rom drive. There is nothing in /dev/cdrom, however, only a cdrom directory in filesystem.

How would this translate to something Asunder can find and read, since it clearly is not finding the inserted disc? Changing the location to /cdrom did not do anything.
    -merlin

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by merlinus View Post
    Thanks very much, Dennis -- I have installed Asunder via synaptic. The interface (menu), however, does not seem to allow me to select a source. I inserted a cd, but nothing comes up.

Also, can I then specify the order in which the tracks will be burned in Brasero?
    Insert the cd into the computer's cd/dvd drive first. If the default cd player autostarts, close it. Then start Asunder. When it starts, it should scan for a cd, read the tracks and display them in its window. You can then select all or some to rip to computer files. Somewhere in the options, you should be able to select .wav as the format for saving those files before starting the ripping process.

Yes, you can pick and choose which tracks to burn with Brasero - the order you select them is the order they will appear, and even after that, you can also rearrange them by dragging the entries.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks, but Asunder is not finding the disc. Perhaps I have missed a setting in Preferences?
    -merlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast