Thread: Squeezebox/Logitech Media Server

Beans

Squeezebox/Logitech Media Server

Ran Squeezecenter on 10.04 for a couple of years, driving 4 separate Squeezebox hardware devices. Not a small investment in the HW.

Upgraded to Xubuntu 14.04. Discovered when attempting to re-install the server that Logitech has stopped supporting my Squeezeboxes. They now offer a Logitech Media Server, which I tried to install with out success.

My hardware is a 32-bit HP desktop, 4GB RAM and lots of disk space.

In looking at the logs for the server, I see it repeatedly starts and restarts every 5 seconds. Plenty of other people have had this problem, and after investigating it on the net, I tried solutions which seemed to work for others. No joy there.

My main interest is to be able to use the Squeezebox hardware. These are cool devices and it's a shame Logitech bailed on them.

Anyhow I installed Plex but I could not get the Squeezeboxes to connect to it.

So my request is for any ideas on how to get Logitech Media Server working on my Xubuntu box.

Thoughts, anyone?

Beans

Re: Squeezebox/Logitech Media Server

Problem solved. Something changed some where that was incompatible with the version of Logitech Media Server I was trying to install. I suspect but haven't proven that it was an update to Perl.

From
    http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nig...ex.php?ver=7.8

I downloaded
    logitechmediaserver_7.8.1~1402661598_all.deb

Followed the the instructions here:
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-...-deb-packages/

Specifically this part:
    Install all packages from /nfs/pkgs/ubuntu-builds directory

Recursively handle and install all regular files matching pattern *.deb found at/nfs/pkgs/ubuntu-builds/ directory and all of its subdirectories, type:
    $ sudo dpkg -i -R /nfs/pkgs/ubuntu-builds/

I chose that version because it showed a Perl update for Perl 5.18

On my box perl -v returned
    This is perl 5, version 18, subversion 2 (v5.18.2)