Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound in 14.04 is crackling, popping, skipping and echoing

Beans

Re: Sound in 14.04 is crackling, popping, skipping and echoing

Thanks a bunch, fixed the issue on my brand new system!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jh71 View Post
    As the others, I added the line
    options snd-hda-intel vid=8086 pid=8ca0 snoop=0
    to alsa-base.conf, and this solved the bad noise.
    But now my wireless usb adapter disconnects regularly (every 5 minutes or so), and this is very annoying.
    I have the same problem with 2 different wireless adapters.
    For the moment, I have written a small script to restart network-manager automatically.
    I tried to install linux 3.15 kernel, but then I only get a blank screen.

Any idea what can be wrong with the wireless ?
    It is related to this line in alsa-base.conf, because I do not get these disconnects when I comment it out, but then the crackling noise returns.

Installing the latest linux kernel (3.16) solved the sound distortion for me on an ASUS Z97-Pro. Using Ubuntu on a Z97 build also revealed other hardware compatibility issues (which is apparently common when you're a Linux user and you're on the bleeding edge of things). I documented some of these other fixes here: https://github.com/Nerdylicious/How_...ntel_Z97_Build

I also had an issue with my USB wireless adapter disconnecting every few minutes. I was able to solve this issue by installing the Broadcom STA Driver (after having to make a few changes to the driver source code in order to support linux kernel versions of 3.15 and above). Here are the instructions that I followed: https://github.com/Nerdylicious/How_...ireless-driver

Beans

Hi, I just got a similar MB (ASUS Z97-P) and noticed that:

1. The rear audio sounds fine.
    2. The front panel audio sounds choppy, with pops, very noisy. Almost unbearable.

There is a quick fix for the lazy ones that doesn't involve Kernel upgrades.

Enter the BIOS, go to Advanced->Onboard Devices Configuration->De-Pop. Set it to "Disabled". All problems gone.

When you plug the headphones, the rear audio stops playing. This is supposedly "a feature" which happens on Windows too. You can disable this in two ways:
    1. BIOS: Advanced->Onboard Devices Configuration->Front Panel Type. Set it to AC97. The audio card will now be no longer be able to tell whether you plugged the headphones/microphone in the jack or not and will power all jacks all the time.
    2. Software: Open alsamixer from a terminal. Hit F6 to select "HDA Intel PCH" (if not already selected). Find the option that says "Auto-Mute"; hit Z to disable it. Press Esc to quit. Now type "sudo alsactl store" to keep this setting forever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12