Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: graphics drivers and tweaks for old Intel chips/cards

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

graphics drivers and tweaks for old Intel chips/cards

[Moved to a separate thread focusing on old Intel graphics]

I know that was one of the things I mentioned, but......I don't know how to update mine How did you update to a newer version of opengl?

Thanks!
    Last edited by sudodus; June 20th, 2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: reason for moving explained

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 fails to read exe files properly

I think it comes with the graphics driver. A proprietary driver might have a higher version number. A newer Ubuntu version might to have a higher version number.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I may by out of luck......I ruined my 4 month old laptop and it's not covered by the warranty, so I'm using an OLD laptop that has Intel 900/910 graphics. The laptop has xubuntu 14.04 with what seems to be the latest xorg file for the graphics and additional drivers comes up empty. Do you know if there is somewhere I might be able to grab a driver for graphics this old that has OpenGL 2? The Intel site really does say much for their Linux support.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm not sure you can get any good graphics with it. Maybe it helps a little with UXA acceleration according to

John Hupp <lubuntu@prpcompany.com> wrote:

There was this helpful bug report on file at http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+so...x/+bug/1178982.

It described behavior on Dell PC's with integrated Intel graphics, in which Adobe Flash Player would display only with shades of purple and green in a horizontally compressed window (or at least that's how I would describe what I see on a Dell Dimension 2400).

The work-around (Comment #1) was to change the Xorg acceleration method to UXA.

User reported a work-around:

-o-

Edit (or create) /etc/X11/xorg.conf as follows: (ugh, can't format, should be a tab before each line except the first and the last).

Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier "Intel Graphics"
        Driver "intel"
        Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
    EndSection
    Restart X (reboot, restart your display manager, whatever). Colors are back to the way they used to be and flash works.

-o-

I forgot to include, however, that the bug workaround messes up the login screen (LightDM). You can make out an entry box that one assumes is for the password entry, but everything else is largely unidentifiable.

So as a workaround it leaves a lot to be desired, unless we can also figure out how to fix the login screen.

-o-

Nio Wiklund wrote:

This method works for me to restore good graphics in an old IBM Thinkcentre with Lubuntu Saucy alpha-2 and the following Intel graphics.

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

There is no issue with the login screen.

Beans
    Hidden!

@squakie,

By the way, I think we should make made a new thread for you about this issue.
    Last edited by sudodus; June 20th, 2014 at 08:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: graphics drivers and tweaks for old Intel chips/cards

Woops - just saw you actually created the new thread, so I can skip doing so

An update: I downloaded the newest deb from the Intel site for the Intel Linux graphics driver. The deb installed via the Software Center, and then I rebooted. glxinfo still shows OpenGL at version 1.4 ;(

Is it possible to download and build the OpenGL 2.0 source from mesa or sgi and some how build it into the driver?

I think it's actually a 910/915 adapter as well. The glxinfo is showing 915.
    Last edited by squakie; June 20th, 2014 at 09:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I did find that the mesa site had a newer set of downloads to get OpenGL2, etc.. I downloaded and extracted the files, but the make fails. Went back to the instructions and found there are 3 things that need to be on my system but aren't in the repos. Can someone take a look at those instructions and see if it should be safe, in xubuntu 14.04, to download and install them? I *really* don't want to mess up my current installation

EDIT: The libxml-python shows as an exe file, so I didn't download it. I downloaded the newest dri2proto-2.8. I was able to configure, but make said nothing to make. I then did sudo make install and it did something, so I guess that's what I needed there. I then downloaded libdrm-2.4.54. When I try to configure, I get this error:
    Code:
    checking for PTHREADSTUBS... no
    configure: error: Package requirements (pthread-stubs) were not met:

No package 'pthread-stubs' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables PTHREADSTUBS_CFLAGS
    and PTHREADSTUBS_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
    See the pkg-config man page for more details.
    me@oldlap:~/Downloads/libdrm-2.4.54$ .
    I have no idea what pthread-stubs is or where to get it.

So I got around the dri2proto problem in config by downloading and installing the driproto .deb. The config now fails because of the libdrm "stuff", that's why I downloaded the libdrm .deb file and tried to configure it so I could make and make install.

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by squakie; June 21st, 2014 at 01:50 AM.

Beans

The default driver should give OpenGL 2.x: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTM2MTA

Can you give output of glxinfo?:
    Code:
    glxinfo
    Note that building your own mesa is not fun and probably not what you really want to do (you can get most recent mesa from xorg-edgers or oibaf PPA). If you are going to have a go at it, you need appropriate -dev packages (like libpthread-stubs0-dev). In general, this will help:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep mesa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, a few steps further:

- in package manger, installed libpthread-stubs0-dev, libevent-pthread-2.0-5, libpthread-workqueue-dev and libpthread-workqueue0

The configure then went further but said glproto wasn't installed.

- in package manager, installed x11proto-gl-dev

Then configure went a litle further and then said libdrm >= 2.4.38 required.

Back to trying to figure that out.

It would have been EXTREMELY nice of Mesa to post somewhere the instructions for Ubuntu - install xxxx packages, etc..

Beans

Again, you need the -dev packages. Still, building your own mesa is not a good idea because it will interfere with the packaged version and probably not have intended effect. Give output of glxinfo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast