Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu 14.10 PPC Live CD Doesn't Advance Past Splash Screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Lubuntu 14.10 PPC Live CD Doesn't Advance Past Splash Screen

You people are amazing! If U.S. stores had such customer service response our economy wouldn't be the toilet it's in. Thanks!

Regarding any replacement HDs, right now consider this project a zero-cost challenge since I'm just stretching retirement keeping food on the table and weren't for third-hand hand-me down computers and free community WIFI like here I wouldn't have the pleasure of getting computer educated by the likes of you two! Thanks!

So things seem to be shaping up that my iBook might boot USB but I need to reconfigute my Live CD and install Casper persistence on one of these flash drives. I like the idea that the Live CD might tap configurations off a flash drive so you don't have to reinvent the wheel each time you boot up!! Fantastic! I'll see if I could mug through the info on the links you left and I'll report to you how well I've manged to grasp it all to do the job!

Good work!

Jim in NYC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you have two USB slots, and can boot from a USB dongle, that is the best way rather than booting from the CD. It will be faster, but the disadvantage is you are a USB slot down permanently. That may be no deal-changer though. Depends how many USB slots you have and need. You can probably beg, borrow or steal a USB hub, with a bit of luck.

PS: All good. We're here to help and glad we can be of some.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Be aware, Wubi is no longer supported by Canonical and is no longer supported on these forums. Please refer here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2229766

This is a recent decision by forum staff and new threads asking for support with Wubi will be closed. Thanks.
    Well the link was not for the real wubi (it being windows based), think of it more like a manual 'lubi'.

Installing the system to a virtual disk (what I refer to as wubi) would be an elegant solution for Jim. Somebody might point out that SSDs are more likely to fail and virtual file systems are more vulnerable to corruption, but if you save your documents on the root flash drive folder outside the virtual filesystem then I don't see what the problem is. This also means you can easily move and share the files between computers.

Whatever way you decide to go, Jim please read the PowerPC wiki pages. For example, the Known Issues page has something about installing to usb on 12.04. Don't waste your time doing internet searches, there is a lot of wrong or misleading information out there!

Beans

Looking at the link Bucky Ball gave earlier ( https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence ) most of it should work on PowerPC.

At the yaboot prompt (instead of hitting F6) you will have to type
    Code:
    live persistent

It is this link
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent that doesn't really work on PowerPC.
    Last edited by rsavage; June 20th, 2014 at 04:59 PM.

Beans

My final thought on this is that all the instructions make it look extremely complicated!!! But in reality it isn't!!!

Beans
    Distro

Greetings!

An update of my struggle so far!

I successfully installed Lubuntu 14.04 via Live Installer CD to a 8gig flash drive. GPart reports that the flash is /dev/sdb1 unknown file system 31 KiB and /dev/sdb2/ ext4 7.27 GiB. I then stuck the flash in the brain-dead G3 iBook and followed most straightforward instructions at https://sites.google.com/site/shawnh..._open_firmware

The dev/ls came out with: ff984730 usb@18 /disk@1

I did the boot as mentioned and I ended up on a "OF" line stating:

Specified partition is not valid. Can't OPEN: usb1/disk@1:2,\yaboot

I did try tinkering with it as usb0 and got -

MAC PARTS = Specified partition is not valid. Can't OPEN: mac 0/ata-4@f000/:10,11 tbxr@0, but isn't "ata" meant for a hard drive that's dead and which I'm trying to by-pass via booting up a flash?

My flash's yaboot config file in etc is:

Code:
    ## yaboot.conf generated by the Ubuntu installer
    ##
    ## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you have!!
    ## see also: /usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples for example configurations.
    ##
    ## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
    ## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ

boot="/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_2F040L0_F1HKEWEE-part2"
    partition=2
    root="UUID=1052cdf8-9b9f-44ab-8c0e-17e03927ce3e"
    timeout=100
    install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
    magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
    enablecdboot

image=/boot/vmlinux
    	label=Linux
    	read-only
    	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    	append="quiet splash video=radeonfb:1024x768-32"

image=/boot/vmlinux.old
    	label=old
    	read-only
    	initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old
    	append="quiet splash video=radeonfb:1024x768-32"

# This entry automatically added by the Ubuntu installer for an existing
    # Linux installation on /dev/sda3.
    image=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/@0:3,/boot/vmlinux
        label=Ubuntu-Linux
        root="UUID=21f027dc-44b0-4234-b45e-1916e6e55afd"
        append=" ro quiet splash video=radeonfb:1024x768-32"
        initrd=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/@0:3,/boot/initrd.img
    Any tips to keep me on track would be much appreciated!

Jim in NYC
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 23rd, 2014 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Added [code] tags ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I can't give you any tips with your problem, but I can give you this tip: Please use [code] tags [ /code] when posting terminal output/code. Makes it a lot easier to read, clear and keeps the format. Thanks.

I have inserted them in your last post as an example. Edit and have a look how they're used (you can also use Adv Reply or Go Advanced when editing a post, highlight the code and click the # icon).

Beans
    Distro

Greetings:

I'm starting to wonder whether anyone's actually flash-booted Lubuntu off a PPC G3 iBook or any PPC Mac in general since it seems that it's the few people who write of such in articles who have ever done it. I Yahoo'ed and Googled for users who tell their tales of success and nothing comes up. Is there a way to find out whether any UbuntuForum subscribers have accomplished this? If it really isn't possible I'd like to know before delving any further.

Should I somehow re-title this topic to "Booting Ubuntu on PPC Macs"?

Thanks for any assist!

Jim in NYC
    Last edited by JGreenidge; June 25th, 2014 at 01:16 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JGreenidge View Post
    GPart reports that the flash is /dev/sdb1 unknown file system 31 KiB and /dev/sdb2/ ext4 7.27 GiB.
    By the sounds of it you've somehow - and I really don't know how - managed to install without a bootstrap partition. Openfirmware cannot read ext4 so you need another partition to hold yaboot/yaboot.config.

I then stuck the flash in the brain-dead G3 iBook
    That makes it sound like you installed on a different machine?

and followed most straightforward instructions at https://sites.google.com/site/shawnh..._open_firmware
    Don't know why you didn't follow the instructions in the FAQ.

Where did the yaboot.conf come from?

If you let the 14.04 installer do everything automatically (so that it installs a bootstrap partition) then you should (if your g3 ibook supports it) be able to boot the usb by holding down the option key.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JGreenidge View Post
    I'm starting to wonder whether anyone's actually flash-booted Lubuntu off a PPC G3 iBook or any PPC Mac in general since it seems that it's the few people who write of such in articles who have ever done it.
    Yes it is possible.

I've updated my wubi instructions for usb booting. It is untested since I don't have a working flash drive, but based on past experience I think I've got everything covered. If it doesn't work I'll eat my hat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast