Thread: Things to watch out for when laptop shopping

Beans

Things to watch out for when laptop shopping

Hey. Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I couldn't find a Laptop-centric one.

I'm purchasing a new laptop (SAGER, if it matters) and I wanted to make sure it was going to work with Linux. I plan to install Mint on it. I'm aware of the need to check hardware to ensure that it is supported, but I wanted to know what you guys and gals think are the top things to be concerned about when getting a laptop. As in, the most important things to consider. Is it all just a matter of hardware checking on compatibility? Or are there other things to be wary of?

For those who feel they need to talk tech, I am taking my LPIC-1 exam soon and will start RHCSA studying after a short break. So no worries about confusion.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Things to watch out for when laptop shopping

I think the hardware forum is a better place for this thread, so I move it there.

Start by reading this sticky thread Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Avoid hybrid graphics if possible. If you absolutely must have a very powerful GPU for gaming or 3D design, I'd lean to an Nvidia/"Optimus" model, but even that's a risk.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Get an Intel Wifi card. I can't wait for my new Intel Centrino Advanced N-6235 to arrive -- It'll be my fourth adapter LOL.

Beans

^Atheros chips have worked well for me *shrug*

Beans

The laptop I am eyeing offers Nvidia GeForce cards, either as a single, like an 870, ot two in SLI mode. I realize not using it for gaming is a waste to some people, but since I'm buying this model would default Nvidia drivers for Linux allow for good resolution? I use the laptop for surfing, writing, music, and other basic stuff. No real games. (though I do enjoy some old school Diablo II, but that's optional) I checked some sites, and it appears i'll be fine.

Beans

since I'm buying this model would default Nvidia drivers for Linux allow for good resolution?
    In Optimus configuration, the Nvidia GPU is used for 3D rendering and Intel GPU is used for display, so the Intel driver would control the resolution. Resolution is usually not the issue for Optimus users (things like battery life and HDMI output are more problematic).

The laptop I am eyeing
    Which model are you considering?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

you should probably check for the Hardware specs and price
    Me , My Laptop , a Cup of Ubuntu , a table and chair ~ HEAVEN