Thread: Is there an 7 or 8 inch intel tablet that lets me install regular ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Is there an 7 or 8 inch intel tablet that lets me install regular ubuntu?

Is there an 7 or 8 inch intel tablet that lets me install regular ubuntu. I don't like being locked down to android arm tablet. I don't trust google, microsoft or apple with my privacy. I want a tablet that allows me to just install any os like a laptop or desktop does. Why won't the ubuntu trouch community encourage the development of open tablets that allow us the freedom we have had with laptops and desktops?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is there an 7 or 8 inch intel tablet that lets me install regular ubuntu?

Why won't the ubuntu trouch community encourage the development of open tablets that allow us the freedom we have had with laptops and desktops?
    How would they do that? Most of the Ubuntu Touch developers are community developers who only have the same hardware that is available to the rest of us. They are working with devices that they have purchased. They have no special influence over hardware manufacturers.

Just stop and think for a moment? How many standard Linux desktop applications will give a good user experience on a 7 or 8 inch tablet? If the tablet has an X86 instruction set CPU then Ubuntu may run on it but I would not want to use desktop applications on a 7 inch screen. These applications are not designed for such small screens.

Then we have to think about the GPU. Are there Linux drivers for it?
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

We could develop programs and drivers for them, just like we did for regular pcs. Why can't tablets be intel based, with an open bios? Linux isn't just a platform it is a philophy. Ubuntu Touch could have specified that the ubuntu tablet and phone be intel based with an unlockable bios.

Beans

I would like to install Ubuntu on a tablet and be able to use gestures (touch). I have not yet purchased the tablet.
    I am considering a Dell Venue 8..It is inexpensive ($120 to 1$150 street). It will be just a carry around, complimenting my Compaq laptop and a desktop both with Ubuntu already installed.The amount of drive memory is not important. Using a 32GB or 64GB SD card is more than enough. I have an Apple 32GB iPhone I have had for years..I I have never even used more than 12 GB.

I believe it does use an Intel processor.

i just want an inexpensive tablet that runs Ubuntu designed for a tablet That I can install myself, Now. At least be sure I wll be able to install a future version in a couple of years myself.

I can tolerate for Android 4.2 for a couple years, for now.