Thread: ubuntu 1 discontinued - how do I download my files (like it say through July 31)

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ubuntu 1 discontinued - how do I download my files (like it say through July 31)

I think we all saw the post a while back, of which I extract the following:

As of today, it will no longer be possible to purchase storage or music from the Ubuntu One store. The Ubuntu One file services will not be included in the upcoming Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release, and the Ubuntu One apps in older versions of Ubuntu and in the Ubuntu, Google, and Apple stores will be updated appropriately. The current services will be unavailable from 1 June 2014; user content will remain available for download until 31 July, at which time it will be deleted.
    So, with xubuntu 14.04, just exactly how do I:

- find the files I have
    - download them (until July 31)

Help!

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: ubuntu 1 discontinued - how do I download my files (like it say through July 31)

Thread moved to Ubuntu One.

Do not you have a download link or at least access to the files from the web interface ?
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: ubuntu 1 discontinued - how do I download my files (like it say through July 31)

My PC that I had everything on went belly-up thanks to something stupid on my part, and that isn't covered on the warranty on the laptop. So, I'm using an old acer laptop with xubuntu to try to do things. I would have no idea at this time what a download link would have been - is there any way to retrieve that? I also don't know how to access from a web interface since ubuntu one isn't included or in the repositories for 14.04. I'm trying to figure out just how exactly I'm supposed to be able to those downloads that are supposedly available until July 31. If you can find ANY way for me to do this, it would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Dave

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

You could ping someone on the irc channel #ubuntuone or use the contact details at https://one.ubuntu.com/help/contact/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ubuntu 1 discontinued - how do I download my files (like it say through July 31)

I downloaded, unpacked and tried to run u1_downloaded and it gives me an error:
    Code:
    me@oldlap:~/Downloads/u1-downloader$ ./u1_downloader
    bash: ./u1_downloader: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
    me@oldlap:~/Downloads/u1-downloader$
    The folder contents are:
    Code:
    me@oldlap:~/Downloads/u1-downloader$ ls -al
    total 5192
    drwxrwxr-x 2 me me    4096 Jun 12 14:07 .
    drwxr-xr-x 8 me me    4096 Jun 19 04:52 ..
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 me me  214211 Jun 10 10:58 cacert.pem
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 me me 5089973 Jun 12 14:06 u1_downloader
    I've tried with sudo and get the same error message as in this post - the expected " message.

The blog entry that announced all of this has a link to 3 tools to try - but they are all cloud-to-cloud tools. I don't have another cloud. I just want to get my files back off of UbuntuOne as it says I should be able to through July 31.

If you have been getting this same error message, here's the trick: this message appears when you are running 32-bit version of ubuntu/lubuntu/xubuntu, etc., but have downloaded the default as it turns out the default u1_downloader is 64-bit. Finding that wasn't easy - there is really no mention of it on the initial download page. To actually download your files from UbuntuOne - if you are using a 32-bit version of ubuntu:

go to this link and download the 32-bit version, use the archive manager to decompress it, then in terminal go to the folder everything decompressed to and simply:

./u1_downloader

if will prompt for your ubuntone email address and then for your ubuntuone password, and then it will start downloading. I have a C source code out there that it just doesn't seem to want to download for whatever reason. The FAQ says to just retry. I've done that 3 times so far with the same failure - it did download the rest of my files from ubuntuone.
    Last edited by howefield; July 19th, 2014 at 10:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thumbs up Re: ubuntu 1 discontinued - how do I download my files (like it say through July 31)

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    If you have been getting this same error message, here's the trick: this message appears when you are running 32-bit version of ubuntu/lubuntu/xubuntu, etc., but have downloaded the default as it turns out the default u1_downloader is 64-bit. Finding that wasn't easy - there is really no mention of it on the initial download page. To actually download your files from UbuntuOne - if you are using a 32-bit version of ubuntu:

go to this link and download the 32-bit version, use the archive manager to decompress it, then in terminal go to the folder everything decompressed to and simply:

./u1_downloader

if will prompt for your ubuntone email address and then for your ubuntuone password, and then it will start downloading. I have a C source code out there that it just doesn't seem to want to download for whatever reason. The FAQ says to just retry. I've done that 3 times so far with the same failure - it did download the rest of my files from ubuntuone.
    That was helpful, Thank you very much!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I also found out that when I *thought* I copied my C source code up there I really only created an empty file - and that's why it's not transferring it. Unfortunately for me, it also means I've lost the source code I worked several months on!! Oh well, that's what I get for not keeping another copy and then breaking my old laptop!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thank you!!