Thread: ubuntu 14.04 installation error

Beans

ubuntu 14.04 installation error

I had ubuntu 12.04 and tried to update it but that seemed to fail because 13.10 had no icons. I then tried to update to 14.04 and when I turn on laptop I get a black screen. I bought 14.04 and installed disk now it tells me could not find the iso /images/images/trusty.iso help, what I do? I am not a computer genius and need very basic explanations. Any help would be apperciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: ubuntu 14.04 installation error

When you say update, do you mean you tried to upgrade the release? Did you do this via the Update Manager option, terminal or with a clean install?

Beans

I updated through the update manager option first but when installation was complete nothing happened so I bought the disc so I could wipe the drive and install 14.04 fresh.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Upgrading and updating is different. You say you updated, but from what you tell us you were trying to upgrade from one version (12.04) to the next one (14.04), which, as both are LTS, is perfectly feasible without steps via the in between versions, such as 13.10. What does missing icons mean?

Now help from this/any forum can only be expected if you describe exactly what you did, and how that failed, as Bucky Ball already suggested.
    How and where and why did you BUY 14.04. You can just download it from the Ubuntu site. How did you install it, from what medium (DVD or USBstick), and how was 14.04 .iso put on it? How did you check the integrity of the .iso file, and of the DVD or USBstick?

So, there are a lot of questions which have to be answered before anyone can help you

Topsiho

Beans

Ok, I started with Ubuntu 11.02? then I used the update manager to upgrade to 12.04. when I finished upgrading I got my desktop backgroud but nothing else. Look, I don't know all the terms for everything, I only got Ubuntu because my friend loves it and I didn't want to pay best buy $100 for a new Windows Vista recovery disc. I used Ubuntu 11 until recently when I decided to get the new version but had lots of problems with the update manager so I bought the Ubuntu 14.04 dvd because I read that it would erase everything and install 14.04. I tried to download/upgrade (whatever the term is) 14.04 from the update manager at the site but when it was done I only got a black screen when I rebooted. I left it like that for 2 hours thinking it was still installing. I didn't check the integrity of the .iso file because I have no idea what that means. I can't ask my friend anymore because I am attending his funeral later this afternoon. Maybe put my Ubuntu 11 dvd back in and have it re-installed and erase the hard drive so i can start all over. Or see if geek squad can get it to work. I thought the beginner area was going to help but I obviously don't have the terms or understanding of computers that most beginners have.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Those upgrades from update manager have always been messy in my experience. A fresh Ubuntu install is recommeded.

Download and burn Ubuntu (both 12.04 and 14.04 versions are available for download) to a USB or DVD.
    Boot with it and "Try Ubuntu (without installing)".
    Check how Ubuntu fares on your hardware. (By the way, you haven't shared your machines hardware details with us, that's needed).

If you have any Data to save/backup from your previous Ubuntu then please do so right now.

When Ready to install new Ubuntu, do so from the desktop choosing the appropiate install option.
    To manage HDD partitions manually use 'something else' option.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I am very sorry about you having to bury your friend right now.

You may be sure that on this forum everyone wants to help you. But to do so full and correct information is needed.
    It would be nice if you could find some "Ubuntugeek" living near you who can help you. He'll certainly be very glad to be able to do so.

Update: the installation of packages (programs) on the computer, some to remove security issues, and some to improve programs. In Windows speech also called patching.
    Upgrade: to move a system from one version, say Ubuntu 12.04, to the next version, Ubuntu 14.04. You could consider this an enormous update, where all programs on the computer are updated in one run.

An upgrade is a very time consuming process, which can last for hours, and a large amount of data has to be downloaded, and installed, replacing the old programs with the new versions.

Ubuntu 11.10 is supported during 9 months only, from October 2013, so is not worth your trouble installing it.

12.04 will be supported until April 2017, Ubuntu 14.04 until April 2019, both being LTS (Long Term Service) versions.

It is unwise to use not supported versions, as you won't get updates ("patches" ) anymore.

Again, I am sorry, and suppose you might postpone this all to a later date.

Topsiho

Beans

Thanks for all the help but I found out it was a bad hard drive. I installed a new hard drive and Ubuntu 14.04 went in without a hitch.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Great. Please mark thread as 'solved' from thread tools, top right, to help others. Thanks and good luck.