My Ubuntu 14.04 has started hanging when I try to log out. I takes at least 3 minutes before it finally will log out. Then the User name (I only have one) will be blank whereas before it was filled in, then it gets bucky about accepting my password. I have to enter it several times but in the end it will accept it. I have reviewed software I have installed (which isn't much) and also programs set to autostart. Nothing has helped.

I have done some research on the internet but I have not found anything quite like this problem. This doesn't really pose a problem for me but I am curious as to why this has changed.

I don't know if this is related but it started about the same time and maybe after an update. When I would log out before I had this problem I would just be asked for my password never the user name. But now it shows the user name and I have to hit enter or spacebar to move on to where it asks for my password. Also during boot up it shows the user name when it asks for the password.

Has anyone encounter this and solved it?