Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install 12.X On Non-Responsive 10.04 Without Losing Data

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Install 12.X On Non-Responsive 10.04 Without Losing Data

Is there a way to install Ubuntu 12.X on top of a non-responsive 10.04 LTS desktop that was broken due to an update that was released?

It'll boot, it just stops responding to the mouse clicks and keyboard...I will happily upgrade the OS if there's a way to do it without losing my files and a way to make it happen before it locks up!

Thank you for the guidance to date! This gives me hope!

Orion

Beans

Re: Install 12.X On Non-Responsive 10.04 Without Losing Data

Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04 are both LTS and you should be able to upgrade but that is always risky. I would back up any important data before trying. You mightbe better off to install 12.04 to another partition if you have room for it then copy what you want from 10.04. In either case, I would suggest a backup before beginning. The link below has instructions

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'd love to back up my files first. Any idea how to do that when I cannot use the keyboard or mouse?
    As I said, once it boots, and I log in, the keyboard no longer functions. I can move the mouse, but mouse clicks have no effect. I can watch the clock tick, but that's it.

I'm okay taking the risk if there's a way to upgrade the system without logging in - which would leave me unable to upgrade since I cannot use the keyboard or click with the mouse. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks for the help!

Orion

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Boot from a LiveDVD/USB and backup files. DO NOT go for the in system upgrade to 14.04 LTS, even if you can. You have a broken system and upgrading with the Update Manager will just give you a more recent broken system and will be problematic.

We don't support EOL (end-of-life) releases here anymore, so stick to 'how to install 12.04 LTS' rather than asking for help with 10.04 LTS (not that you were about to).

A clean install on another partition is a good choice, as suggested, if you have the room. Once you are backed up though, I would personally do a clean install of 12.04 LTS (or 14.04 LTS) to the existing 10.04 '/' partition. Just install straight over it.

To do this, when you get to the partitioning section of the install choose 'Something Else' and partition manually. You only need to worry about the partition marked with '/' as its mountpoint. Leave the rest alone and make sure they are marked 'Do not use' and not ticked to format. Only tick the / partition to format and make sure it has / as its mountpoint.

The install will recognise this and take care of the rest. Good luck.

Beans

Step #1 is deciding which Ubuntu to install. This involves a few considerations.

Which desktop environment do you want to use? Have you tried Unity? Or GNOME Shell? The reason for asking is that I can't help but wonder why you were still using 10.04 when it reached EOL over one year ago

What hardware are you using? Some older hardware that would run Ubuntu 10.04 with the GNOME 2 DE is not capable of running Unity or GNOME Shell If you still have the old 10.04 live CD (or other live media) you could use that to gather hardware info before proceeding.

So please take time to research this a little bit (feel free to ask as many questions as you wish - perhaps even starting new threads as needed), then you can obtain the proper live media, back up your data using the live media, and then provide some details about the existing installation.

The good news is that all flavors of 14.04 (Trusty) are LTS:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will be supported for 5 years for Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu Core, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, and Ubuntu Kylin. All other flavours will be supported for 3 years.

Beans
    Hidden!

I support kansasnoob's suggestion to spend some time and effort to decide what to install. Try several versions (12.04 LTS and 14.04 LTS), and several flavours (desktop environments with light, medium or heavy footprints and different styles). See also this link

Try Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, ...) before installing it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OrionXIII View Post
    Is there a way to install Ubuntu 12.X on top of a non-responsive 10.04 LTS desktop that was broken due to an update that was released?

It'll boot, it just stops responding to the mouse clicks and keyboard...I will happily upgrade the OS if there's a way to do it without losing my files and a way to make it happen before it locks up!

Thank you for the guidance to date! This gives me hope!

Orion
    Boot from a CD and edit your grub.cfg file on the hard drive so it stops during boot and allows you to move back a kernel revision. Then purge the offending kernel (2.6.32-61). Now you should have a working system to plan your upgrade.

See-
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2228645&page=3

(I remember years ago when the Ubuntu community was more helpful. Guess I have been away for too long.)
    Last edited by Niets; June 21st, 2014 at 03:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Niets View Post
    Boot from a CD and edit your grub.cfg file on the hard drive so it stops during boot and allows you to move back a kernel revision. Then purge the offending kernel (2.6.32-61). Now you should have a working system to plan your upgrade.

See-
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2228645&page=3

(I remember years ago when the Ubuntu community was more helpful. Guess I have been away for too long.)
    You should not edit grub.cfg directly. You should edit /etc/default/grub and when you've finished, 'sudo update-grub'. This will write the changes to grub.cfg.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Install 12.X On Non-Responsive 10.04 Without Losing Data

Bless you!!!!

*happy dance!*

LOL It ate my entire post - Thank you!! That was exactly what was needed!! I was able to use the SHIFT key to get into the Grub Menu - never even THOUGHT of that! You guided me to just the right solution. Now I can back up my files.

I've tried the newer versions of Ubuntu - everything from 11 on up (haven't tried for a year) and cannot STAND the Unity desktop and have found them to be very unstable, especially in their 64-bit incarnations. Perhaps it's time to try again...I've got a laptop just dying for a new OS.

Niets, the next time you are in the Portland, OR area, drop me a line and I will buy you a glass of your favorite adult beverage. I am SOOO thankful right now. I yelled "YESS!!" so loud I scared my cats.

Orion
    Last edited by OrionXIII; June 22nd, 2014 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Editor ate my post upon save.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you for the advice! Once I back up my files, I will do that - Bless you all for your help!!

I am one VERY happy camper right now!

Orion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast