Thread: 14.04 - camera problems

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

14.04 - camera problems

I've had the same problem as many others with cameras not mounting in 14.04. I've been following the launchpad report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...5?comments=all), and I've just posted again there.

Normally I would let it go at that, and I know these words don't mean much, but......

"I'm in really desparate need of getting some pictures off my camera today".

OK, got that out of the way.

If anyone in the know can help me getting this working I would be forever in your debt!

I've been around the forums enough to know that pleas don't accellerate responses, but I really have to at least try today!

Thanks!

EDIT: I should probably add: no card reader on this PC so I can't take the card out of the camera and plug it in.
    Last edited by squakie; June 19th, 2014 at 02:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 14.04 - camera problems

I think there's something wrong with the way things are tested when something that did work gets broken for so many users in a new release. The fix doesn't work for me. It's really sad commentary that I had to go out and buy a card reader just so I could get pictures off my camera.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Another "probable"work-around (till fix uploaded next month), is to load a live Linux OS such as Parted Magic, Gparted or WiFislax.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I believe the fix to be uploaded is the one you get if you follow the launchpad link and do the things listed there like I did. I wouldn't *think* it should make any difference, but perhaps since I'm running xubuntu something is different "in there" such that the fix doesn't apply or doesn't work.

Uh, I may be even dumber than I thought, but aren't Parted Magic and Gparted disk management tools, not a live OS? I do see where you are going though - download a non-ubuntu, possibly non-debian, live media or use something like the 12.04 LTS live media, but it really does defeat the purpose if you know what I mean. I do see where that could help others with the same problem and no card reader - and for that I thank you for adding some valuable information here. For me, the cheap card reader (I got it at Big Lots ) is a temporary fix without the need to reboot, but I know that's not realistic for everyone.

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Parted Magic is a full featured live OS complemented with many tools, disk/partitions management and many others.
    However, for the purpose and only because it was suggested as a temporary workaround, something much lighter (=> boots faster) like Puppy in a 8GB or less USB flash drive would be ideal.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks - didn't know that!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

But......does anyone have any ideas on fixing this problem in the OS itself? As mentioned, the fix as posted in the launchpad report doesn't work for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

bump