Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How safe are my data when I use a Chromebook? (with Ubuntu)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How safe are my data when I use a Chromebook? (with Ubuntu)

Hey there,

I'd like to buy a Chromebook, because the technical data are awesome: 32GB SSD, 4GB memory, dual core CPU (well, not the best one, but at least it's ok), 8h+ battery life. The price is about $ 400 (or even less), so there's no doubt that it's the cheapest ultrabook / notebook!

I would install Ubuntu alongside ChromeOS, I'd do it that way. When I use ChromeOS, I am sure that Google tracks everything I do. No wonder since I can only use Google Chrome.
    My issue: if I install Ubuntu, like in the tutorial, can Google still access my data and monitor my actions? Is there a special key logger that tracks my data even if ChromeOS isn't activated?
    Let's put it that way: is there a reason to have more privacy concerns when using a HP Chromebook than using another HP notebook? (well, sorry for my grammar, don't know how to express my doubts)

Thanks for your answers, I'm excited for your opinions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How save are my data when I use a Chromebook? (with Ubuntu)

I have a chromebook (C720). If I were doing it all again, I'd buy an 11inch Dell instead. Had to spend too much money to upgrade the chromebook and don't have nearly as much storage as the Dell provides out-of-the-box for less hassle. Lots of other things missing - wired ethernet, VGA output, too few USB ports, odd M2-SSD size, no RAM upgrade possible. The Dell with the same CPU (8 hrs of battery) was $280 last Xmas. I think it is $340 now. It really is about the CPU - THAT is amazing for the performance/Watt.

Plus the chromebook keyboards are funny - bad for a touch typist. I kept powering off the chromebook for about 2 months due to the IDIOT design that puts the power button where the DEL should be. I still hit the power button from time-to-time. Not good.

I wiped ChromeOS the first time it was booted - loaded Ubuntu 13.10. Now it is running 14.04 with LXDE nicely, but I still wish it was a regular keyboard, wired GigE network and had 500G of storage. Wifi just isn't good enough.
    Last edited by TheFu; June 18th, 2014 at 06:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

+1 to 11inch Dell, I would also check on the Toshiba satellite series.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In my case, it is the HP 14 Chromebook. Where I live, the cheapest 12+ inch notebook costs $ 600 and has no SSD, so it's no option for me.
    I know Chromebooks, I've used the C720 for one week, and I think it's okay. My only concerns are privacy concerns!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Check out the Dell Inspiron 11 i3137-3751sLV on Amazon - $319 here - and less than my C720 after I upgraded the SSD, bought a VGA converter and got a USB3-to-GigE network+ 3 USB3 ports. Less hassle, since it can hold 8GB of RAM and comes with a 500G HDD and a normal keyboard.

The HP isn't any prize. I looked at it, typed on it and passed. For me the C720 was a better machine.

I don't understand the privacy concerns at all. Don't use ChromeOS or Chome browser or Google for DNS or G+ or gmail or g-voice or doubleclick or G-docs or (insert 20 other google things) or Facebook or twitter and block all those image trackers using ghostery and large ad-network-blocking /etc/hosts file.

Then relax and know that you are still being tracked online. That is the nature of the internet. Heck, most people using TOR aren't really being anonymous either. Privacy is hard.
    Last edited by TheFu; June 22nd, 2014 at 12:41 PM.

Beans

Re: How safe are my data when I use a Chromebook? (with Ubuntu)

Privacy... an elusive concept. If you use gmail and google search and browse the web with anything other than TOR, then Google will know everything about you anyway, nevermind what computer you use...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So, a Chromebook isn't worse than any other device where I use Google's apps. That's what I wanted to know, thanks.

Btw I am looking for a 13+ inch notebook. And the Dell isn't available in my continent either - so no option for me. Thanks though!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yeah, more or less. But I would still opt for something other than chromebook as it seems to be too costly, but if that's the only option for you then that's that.

If your query has been satisfied, please mark this thread as solved from thread tools above. Help us in helping others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Privacy... an elusive concept. If you use gmail and google search and browse the web with anything other than TOR, then Google will know everything about you anyway, nevermind what computer you use...
    The NSA collects data based on specific criteria outlined in a collection request. Google knows way more about you than the government ever will. It's funny how people protest against NSA collection but overlook Google harvesting every aspect of your online life they can see for their own uses.
    -Chayak

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chayak View Post
    The NSA collects data based on specific criteria outlined in a collection request. Google knows way more about you than the government ever will. It's funny how people protest against NSA collection but overlook Google harvesting every aspect of your online life they can see for their own uses.
    I think it's because Google is using it to market to you (assumingly), whereas the NSA could actually choose to prosecute you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast