Thread: Console mode

Beans

Console mode

I was thinking about switching over from a desktop environment to just console mode. I know my way around the console fairly well and have developed a liking for the simplicity of console mode and how many less distractions there are when using it compared to a desktop environment. I had a few questions that I have already turned to Google for and didn't get really any helpful answers. I am using Kali-linux so there is a bunch of tools installed on it the questions I am hoping to find the answers to are the following:

1.) How light weight is console mode, compared to a desktop environment?

2.) How would I list all the tools that I currently have installed or that come on Kali I have already done the apt-cache search + the meta-packages names to read their contents but I know there has to be an easier way then doing this.

3.) What benefits come with using console mode? Why would it be better to use than a desktop environment? besides learning how to operate a computer with commands instead of just point and click.
    Last edited by carstenohair; June 17th, 2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Grammer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Console mode

We can't advise you on the applications supplied with Kali, as we don't support those types of activities here, but as far as running in console mode, that's up to you. Personally the only reason I ever run in console mode is on really low resource systems, my Apple G3 for instance with a 350Mhz cpu and 256MB ram.

As far as ram usage goes, it depends more on how many services you are running than anything else, if you have a fairly new system, you should already have more than enough resources to do what you want on a day to day basis..

About the only advantage in running in console mode on a modern system is the geek cred you gain from doing it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

carstenohair; Hi ! My Welcome to the forum.

Here is a thought: Install the 'minimal' and only add to it what you really do want on your operating system.

It is very fast and as light weight as you care to keep it. If you so desire it is terminal, and IF you want you may add the GUI.

Take this route and you will be impressed with what you learn .. and look at how much value you add to your "geekiness".

Who knows ? Next might be compiling your own kernel ( but that is step outside of direct ubuntu support ) !
    Linux From Scratch is awe inspiring ! Now that is learning and knowing your stuff.

because
    inquiring minds want to know
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by carstenohair View Post
    How light weight is console mode, compared to a desktop environment?
    In this link the RAM and disk usage is shown for basic Ubuntu 14.04 LTS systems running idle with only a text screen, console, and various graphical window managers and desktop environments.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/9w/RAM_%26_disk_usage

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Moved to Other OS/Distro Support.