Thread: Why are games so slow?

Beans

Why are games so slow?

Okay so I just installed Ubuntu, P.S. I am not new because I had it on an older computer.
    And everything was really quick on Windows 8, now I can barely play any games.
    I have an Intel I5 Core and 8GB RAM. Anything useful will really help.
    Games are slow like, Starbound, Minecraft, Gmod, L4D2, and Don't Starve.
    They are all on the fastest settings, plus I am on a laptop and it is bad framerate
    MY GLMARK2 IS SO LOW... It is 182!!! And it is supposed to be 1200.

-PCI Devices-
    Host bridge : Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    VGA compatible controller : Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    USB controller : Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04) (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
    Communication controller : Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    USB controller : Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    Audio device : Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    PCI bridge : Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    PCI bridge : Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev c4) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    PCI bridge : Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    USB controller : Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    ISA bridge : Intel Corporation HM77 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
    SATA controller : Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
    SMBus : Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    Network controller : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188EE Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate replies, you can still send me them because I will have Ubuntu as a side OS but I am reinstalling Win 8 soon! But that is in a month so I would appreciate replies.
    Thank you all, but I want to fix it so bad, because my computer cost about 1000$ and I don't want to spend 100$ for Win 8. I am going to try to play on Fedora and OpenSUSE and see if that works.

EDIT: I have fixed it! I reinstalled Ubuntu and this time did not update the drivers and now it runs really fast. Thanks for all the help!
    Last edited by weisswolf; June 26th, 2014 at 05:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Why are games so slow?

First off, what games are slow? And how are they slow? (low framerates, long loading times, etc)
    Is this a laptop?
    Are you able to run glmark2? If so what is the score?

I'm sure others will chime in with different questions that might help pinpoint the problem.

Beans

What kind of hardware do you have? How are you running the games? I think you may want to try removing your game graphic settings to make your games run faster.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

they described the hardware:
    Intel I5 Core and 8GB RAM
    Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)

those games should run well on this setup. i run them on a much much weaker PC. intel drivers have issues it seems.

to the OP - try running a different desktop. i am not sure what is causing the slowdown. i have no experience with intel GPU. i know that they use opensource drivers that can be upgraded to latest or dev version using a PPA. perhaps that would help?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

I have updated the drivers and used a desktop that reduced my cpu usage to 1% while not using anything... Still can barely play OpenArena without lag...
    I am going to get a windows 8 install disc soon, I want my fast computer back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

one thing here - is there any other GPU inside?

interesting though intel doens't have good chips but the one one your mashcine should be able to handle these games.

one thing to try and see is if enough ram is set aside for the GPU.

other than that - use Windows if it works well
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

You are free, OP, of course, to go back to a closed-source, porous, vulnerable OS, but you should at least try to solve your gaming problem before throwing your hands up and heading back to the M$ fold.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    one thing here - is there any other GPU inside?

interesting though intel doens't have good chips but the one one your mashcine should be able to handle these games.

one thing to try and see is if enough ram is set aside for the GPU.

other than that - use Windows if it works well
    Intel iGPU's dynamically allocate, and their static RAM usage is usually fixed at 128MB.

And the drivers for Intel are the least hassle, in my experience, so I'm really lost as to why the OP is experiencing this sluggishness.