Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running Ubuntu off a External USB Drive on Windows 8 Laptop.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Running Ubuntu off a External USB Drive on Windows 8 Laptop.

Why do you think people want faster HDDs and SSDs?

Edit: And why should the same not count for the USB interface?
    Last edited by sudodus; June 19th, 2014 at 10:03 PM.

Beans

I don't know 'faster' in what context, all I am saying is empirically I can't see any difference in speed or performance in the present context (running Linux in an external hd) due to usb interface.

Beans
    Hidden!

@monkeybrain20122, we have different experiences, and I think it is good to discuss it

My experience is that certain things, including booting (reading) and shutting off (flushing cached data) and copying files can be limited by the USB 2 transfer rate, which makes the system slow compared to running from internal drives, eSATA and USB 3 drives. A live system is reading its compressed file system into RAM, so it is quite responsive, while a persistent live system and an installed system are more depending on reading uncompressed data from the drive, which makes them slower when limited by slow flash memory but also by USB 2.

I certainly agree with you, that
    with usb flash drives it is painfully slow
    except with some of the really fast USB 3 pendrives, where the flash hardware is much faster than standard flash memory hardware.

And I agree with both of you, irv and monkeybrain20122, that running installed systems from USB works quite well. This is a good alternative to messing with dual booting in the internal drive and the potential risk to damage an installed Windows system. Installed systems in USB drives are also good as portable operating systems (if you use no proprietary driver).

Beans
    Hidden!

zemega reports problems when booting a PAE system from a USB drive in a computer with a non-pae CPU. The post was moved to an own thread

booting from external drive with non-pae CPU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just to mention that I don't use this installed OS on the external drive in any other computer. And maybe another reason it runs fast in the fact that I have a i7 processor and 8gig of RAM.
    I have been thinking about getting an external SSD and installing Ubuntu on it. I would think with this and using it on USB3 would improve performance even more.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm running this computer (that I'm typing from) from an SSD in eSATA right now. It is about the same speed as USB 3. It is not generally portable, because I have an nvidia proprietary driver, NVIDIA 304.88 for a GeForce GT 430 card. (But with the nouveau driver it is quite portable. I have tried.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I'm running this computer (that I'm typing from) from an SSD in eSATA right now. It is about the same speed as USB 3. It is not generally portable, because I have an nvidia proprietary driver, NVIDIA 304.88 for a GeForce GT 430 card. (But with the nouveau driver it is quite portable. I have tried.)
    It would still work with nvidia proprietary driver, just have to rename xorg-config when you boot it off another machine that doesn't have a Nvidia card, in fact you may not even have to do that, I think the Nvidia driver will not load if it doesn't detect a Nvidia card (but I haven't tried it). Not sure about fglrx.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 20th, 2014 at 07:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have another computer with an older nvidia chip. This driver does not work with that chip. Instead it wants the '173' proprietary driver.

Beans

I have another computer with an older nvidia chip. This driver does not work with that chip. Instead it wants the '173' proprietary driver.
    No, that wouldn't work. I only had one computer with Nvidia so I was booting off other computers with Intel or Amd.

Beans

@monkeybrain20122, we have different experiences, and I think it is good to discuss it

My experience is that certain things, including booting (reading) and shutting off (flushing cached data) and copying files can be limited by the USB 2 transfer rate, which makes the system slow compared to running from internal drives, eSATA and USB 3 drives. A live system is reading its compressed file system into RAM, so it is quite responsive, while a persistent live system and an installed system are more depending on reading uncompressed data from the drive, which makes them slower when limited by slow flash memory but also by USB 2.
    Depending on where you copy from/to. If from another drive then you are probably right. But in the same drive I see no difference. Booting up and shutting off may be a bit slower, but in general I find the difference is quite small.Once up and running there is no difference from my experience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast