Thread: Your favorite Linus quotes?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Your favorite Linus quotes?

"Wireless networking is pointless, so why bother making it work in Linux?"

-Linus

It's a joke... laugh.
    SPECIAL ORDER 937: "NOSTROMO REROUTED TO NEW COORDINATES. INVESTIGATE LIFE FORM. GATHER SPECIMEN. PRIORITY ONE. INSURE RETURN OF ORGANISM FOR ANALYSIS. ALL OTHER CONSIDERATIONS SECONDARY. CREW EXPENDABLE."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Has anyone else read the discussion Linux and one of the developers of Minnix had on Usenet back in the early 90s?

This Minnix guy said some priceless things which I will paraphrase:

"In a few years time, we'll all be using Sun Sparcs"
    "Linux has ridiculously bloated system requirements"
    "You would have failed any operating-system-programming course, because Linux can't be ported to other platforms and it uses a monolithic kernel when everyone knows that microkernels have better performance".
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Cry me a river, Jeff.
    linus Trovald

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    "Linux has ridiculously bloated system requirements"
    "You would have failed any operating-system-programming course, because Linux can't be ported to other platforms and it uses a monolithic kernel when everyone knows that microkernels have better performance".
    speaking as a 286 owner, I say he's right (yes, minix is on there)

Beans

My favorite was a mailing list where he spoke about slashdot (http://slashdot.org) being a giant wanking fest.

"Gaah. I don’t tend to bother about slashdot, because quite frankly, the whole _point_ of slashdot is to have this big public wanking session with people getting together and making their own “insightful?" comment on any random topic, whether they know anything about it or not."

Source
    Last edited by mkw87; July 26th, 2006 at 07:08 PM.
    Desktop: Opty 165 @ 289x9, 1.38v | 2x1GB G.Skill, 3-4-4-8, 2.6v | nVidia 7600GT | Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Laptop: Intel Centrino Duo T2300 | 2 GB Ram | Intel 945GM Graphics | Intel 3945ABG Wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

"I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves 'why?'. Hurd will be out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got minix." (1991)

"Portability is for people who cannot write new programs." (1992)

"In short: just say NO TO DRUGS, and maybe you won't end up like the Hurd people." (2001)

"They [SCO] are smoking crack." (2003)
    "I allege that SCO is full of it." (2003)

"it's all part of the plan for world domination."

"It was _such_ a relief to program in user mode for a change. Not having to care about the small stuff is wonderful." (April 14, 2005)

When asked why he called the new software, "git," British slang meaning "a rotten person," he said. 'I'm an egotistical bastard, so I name all my projects after myself. First Linux, now git.'"

"I like colorized diffs, but let's face it, those particular color choices will make most people decide to pick out their eyes with a fondue fork. And that's not good. Digging in your eye-sockets with a fondue fork is strictly considered to be bad for your health, and seven out of nine optometrists are dead set against the practice. So in order to avoid a lot of blind git users, please apply this patch. "

sources: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123