Thread: Evolution: Cannot save in-line images in HTML message

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Evolution: Cannot save in-line images in HTML message

Hi there,

I have Evolution 3.8.4, which seems to be the latest version available from the Ubuntu Software Centre. According to the Evolution documentation installed with the application:

"To save an image that is embedded in an HTML email, right-click on the image and click Save Image...."

However, I have no such option in my right-click menu. In fact, the right-click menu remains exactly the same whether I right-click on an image or on the text of the message.

The image I am trying to save is a local image -- i.e., it was downloaded with the message. It was sent with iPhone Mail, but the sending client should affect Evolution's behaviour.

Things I have tried that have not worked:

• Saving the message as an "mbox" file and opening it with Thunderbird. This just results in a new message with the "mbox" file attached.
    • Dragging the image to the desktop. This results in a file named "Link to cid:F59DD7B9-B1C9-48F4-A63A-34696CC5E7C5". Double-clicking that opens Gedit, with the error message, "Could not open the file cid:///F59DD7B9-B1C9-48F4-A63A-34696CC5E7C5. gedit cannot handle cid: locations."
    • Dragging the image to the desktop while holding the shift of ctrl keys results in an error dialogue box that reads: "Error while copying. There was an error getting information about “F59DD7B9-B1C9-48F4-A63A-34696CC5E7C5”. The specified location is not supported". The options are Cancel, Skip All, Skip or Retry. Retry results in the same error.
    • Viewing the source of the message only shows the MIME encoding. I was hoping it would show me the path to where the images are stored on the hard drive.
    • Message | Edit as New Message results in a message with a .dat attachment that isn't the image, and couldn't possibly be as it's only a few kilobytes in size while the image is several megabytes.

The contents of the "Link to cid:F59DD7B9-B1C9-48F4-A63A-34696CC5E7C5" file on the desktop in the second thing I tried above are:

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=Link to cid:F59DD7B9-B1C9-48F4-A63A-34696CC5E7C5
    Type=Link
    URL=cid:F59DD7B9-B1C9-48F4-A63A-34696CC5E7C5
    Icon=text-html
    However, this is not helpful.

Anybody have any ideas as to how I can extract and save this image, or perhaps upgrade Evolution to the latest version (3.12.2) to see if that will help?

Thanks.

Craig

Beans
    Distro

Re: Evolution: Cannot save in-line images in HTML message

Does nobody use Evolution?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Evolution: Cannot save in-line images in HTML message

Further to this, the behaviour above only seems to happen with messages where the image is embedded and accompanies the email -- i.e., the image is local. With emails where the embedded image is remote -- i.e., it's on a web server -- I get the "Save image" right-click menu option, but it doesn't do anything. Same with the "Copy image" option.