Thread: Installing Lubuntu

Beans

Installing Lubuntu

If I try to install Lbuntu on and older PC will it give me the option to install it in an existing spare Partition alongside Windows XP? The partition is empty apart from another SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION and RECYCLER folder. Which perhaps explains why I cannot delete the partition.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Installing Lbuntu

You can't install Lubuntu in a Windows partition (well, there is a hack but that's no longer supported), but you can use the Lubuntu live disk to delete that Windows partition to ceate unallocated disk space. Open a tool called gparted, click on the empty partition and click delete. Then the installer should give you the option to install Lubuntu alongside Windows. It will automatically create Linux partitions in the unallocated space.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Installing Lubuntu

There is a bug (or lack of exact message) in the desktop installer, so that you might think that you install Lubuntu (or any other Ubuntu flavour) alongside Windows, but actually you will overwrite Windows.

See this link

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1265192

So please do not use any of the automatic or semi-automatic options unless you want to use the whole drive. Instead, when you arrive at the partitioning window in the installer, select Something else, and select or create partitions manually (one big root partition and one small swap partition).

I think it is easier to 'see what you have and what you make' with gparted, so I suggest that you create the partitions with gparted, and then use them at Something else in the installer.

If you want to hibernate, you need at least as much swap as RAM in Gibibytes. Otherwise it is problably enough with less, for example 512 MB or 1 GB. Lubuntu's root partition '/' should be at least 4 GB, but I would recommend at least 8 GB. Otherwise it will soon be full.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    ... but you can use the Lubuntu live disk to delete that Windows partition to ceate unallocated disk space...
    you can and it could break the XP install. especially if you gave some hidden system files on it.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing Lubuntu

Use only windows partitioning tool to create free disk space.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    you can and it could break the XP install. especially if you gave some hidden system files on it.
    Yes, you may be right. There could be a valid reason why WinXP refuses to delete that partition. Thanks for reminding me.

Another option would be to try and use Windows tool not to delete that partition, but shrink it to something very small (if it allows that) and then use gparted to create new partitions for Lubuntu.
    Last edited by Impavidus; June 16th, 2014 at 08:46 PM.