Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why use Ubuntu Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Why use Ubuntu Linux

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Not wanting to be held hostage by MS and proprietary vendors. I am not a gamer so I don't miss anything. For scientific computing and development Linux is actually the platform of choice, software support is actually better than Windows. I also find Linux faster and cleaner than Windows in the way things are organized. Haven't used Windows for a while except for one program that I occasionally use in VB, don't miss it at all.
    Pretty much the same here. Haven't used Windows in a long time, except at work. Glad to be free from Microsoft. Not a gamer. I like the Linux filesystem better than how Windows does it. Seems like with Linux, the system's mine, I can do what I want with it, but it didn't seem that way with Windows. Also, I think Linux is a lot more fun to mess around with. Like monkeybrain, I don't miss Windows one bit. The only way I an imagine using it at home again is if I had a job that required it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I am not a gamer so I don't miss anything.
    Ditto. Beyond the ugly font rendering, I don't need to use any Windows applications and have not for a long time. I did run Macs as well as Linux for several years -- for amateur photo work -- but sold my last Mac last year.

Beans

It's elegant, stable, fast, and the support forums have helped to solve the few problems encountered installing on a Toshiba P50 Laptop with hybrid graphics and intel 7260 wireless card...I went the dual-boot route for about 48 hours before realizing I really didn't need Mr. Gates' Kludge 8.1 for anything that I want to do...I still serve as 'support' for my spouse's Windows 8.1 laptop and the more I have to 'fix' her various issues the more I love Ubuntu...have tried several other flavors, e.g. Mint, Elementary, etc...and have always felt more comfortable with Ubuntu...I have 28+ years computer system administration and network experience including HP3000, VAX/VMS, Windows, and Novell and Ubuntu/Debian/Linux stands head and shoulders above them all...just my 2 centavos, YMMV

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

well Linux has hardware issues which Windows doesn't seem to have (except maybe for old hardware even there there are usually some "Windows" drivers)
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123