Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why use Ubuntu Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Arrow Actual Post!

TLDR:

Trying to figure out what the best OS is for me and my uses.

Actual Thread:

I'm currently researching operating systems. I'm trying to find the best one for my wants and needs.

I'm currently using FreeBSD. Anyone with FreeBSD experience? Why choose Linux over FreeBSD?

Opening the question to all, why do you use Ubuntu Linux?

Please avoid this kind of conversation, haha:

"Linux is teh_best!"

"No,THE BSD IS BEST!!!!!!!!!!1"

I have used Ubuntu, but without much forethought. I want to be smart in my decision making. I understand Ubuntu is pretty much ready-to-go out of the box, but FreeBSD isn't. (As in, FreeBSD requires installing a windows management system, Xorg, etc.)

I like Ubuntu for that, but I like FreeBSD because:

• It's highly customizable.
    • Neat and clean structure.
    • Well-documented handbook.

Not saying Ubuntu is worse than FreeBSD. Everyone has their specific needs. What works for one may not work for the next person. Hah.

Next, this regards Ubuntu's license. When must I pay if using Ubuntu Linux?

Thank you for any help, even directing me to the right forum thread(s), documents, websites.

Sorry if this thread repeats other threads.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why use Ubuntu Linux

I use it because it suffices my needs. I'm your average Joe end user who likes to have least trouble with everything, and Ubuntu does just that. On my really old machine it works out of the box without any trouble. I even got processor upgrade just so I can run the Unity and Gnome DE better :3

As far as I know, you don't need to pay for using Ubuntu, you may however; donate. But I might be overlooking something, so pardon my ignorance.

Ubuntu is quite customizable and very well documented, neat and clean thing depends on that particular end user, so I wont know what it means to you.

Beans
    Distro

I use ubuntu because windows ME was slow and reached EOL and it would run on same pc.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Actual Post!

Hi poet1,

I removed the first post, (and I think you are happy with that).

Quote Originally Posted by poet1 View Post
    TLDR:

Trying to figure out what the best OS is for me and my uses.

Actual Thread:

I'm currently researching operating systems. I'm trying to find the best one for my wants and needs.

I'm currently using FreeBSD. Anyone with FreeBSD experience? Why choose Linux over FreeBSD?

Opening the question to all, why do you use Ubuntu Linux?
    I have tried many different operating systems. For me the Ubuntu flavours have the best overall quality. But I run different flavours, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, standard Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio depending on the computer and the tasks.

Please avoid this kind of conversation, haha:

"Linux is teh_best!"

"No,THE BSD IS BEST!!!!!!!!!!1"

I have used Ubuntu, but without much forethought. I want to be smart in my decision making. I understand Ubuntu is pretty much ready-to-go out of the box, but FreeBSD isn't. (As in, FreeBSD requires installing a windows management system, Xorg, etc.)

I like Ubuntu for that, but I like FreeBSD because:

• It's highly customizable.
    • Neat and clean structure.
    • Well-documented handbook.
    I have not used Kubuntu much, but I understand that it is highly customizable.

You can start from Ubuntu mini.iso and add whatever packages you want. That way you can build your own Ubuntu based system in a way similar to what you describe for FreeBSD.
    Not saying Ubuntu is worse than FreeBSD. Everyone has their specific needs. What works for one may not work for the next person. Hah.

Next, this regards Ubuntu's license. When must I pay if using Ubuntu Linux?
    You must never pay for Ubuntu and its community flavours. (But you can donate money if you wish. I think it is even more valuable if you contribute with work (testing, debugging, writing wiki pages, helping at the Ubuntu Forums ...)
    Thank you for any help, even directing me to the right forum thread(s), documents, websites.

Sorry if this thread repeats other threads.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I use Ubuntu simply because I enjoy using it.
    I know there are other systems out there that can do more and even better than Ubuntu.
    But the simple fact is I am quite happy with Ubuntu.

And that's my above all else requirement.
    Does it make me happy to use it?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Because I also use Windows, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Bodhi, Oracle Solaris ... ?

Beans

For me, Ubuntu is the easiest way to get all the latest software in a slick package. I personally think the whole Unity interface is beautiful and efficient, and you have the rock-solid backing of Debian and the apt package management system. I also use Windows (both 7 and 8) both of which I like; I bought a Surface Pro 2 tablet for my travel machine, but my home workstation runs 14.04 and is my default environment.
    Registered Linux User #407403

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Woah, lots of replies! Let's start from the top, shall we? Hah.

Thanks for your replies, all, first off.

Quote Originally Posted by LastDino View Post
    I use it because it suffices my needs. I'm your average Joe end user who likes to have least trouble with everything, and Ubuntu does just that. On my really old machine it works out of the box without any trouble. I even got processor upgrade just so I can run the Unity and Gnome DE better :3
    Nice!

As far as I know, you don't need to pay for using Ubuntu, you may however; donate. But I might be overlooking something, so pardon my ignorance.
    I myself could be wrong, but last I heard enterprise users must purchase a subscription plan. I honestly don't know about Ubuntu, though.

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Hi poet1,

I removed the first post, (and I think you are happy with that).
    I appreciate it. Thanks.

I have tried many different operating systems. For me the Ubuntu flavours have the best overall quality. But I run different flavours, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, standard Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio depending on the computer and the tasks.
    Come to think of it, Ubuntu does shine in terms of quality.

You can start from Ubuntu mini.iso and add whatever packages you want. That way you can build your own Ubuntu based system in a way similar to what you describe for FreeBSD.
    Ohhh, OK. Didn't realise that, thanks. I'll have to check that out.

You must never pay for Ubuntu and its community flavours. (But you can donate money if you wish. I think it is even more valuable if you contribute with work (testing, debugging, writing wiki pages, helping at the Ubuntu Forums ...)
    Honestly, if I am going to use Ubuntu, I will do either. If I get something for free and not contribute, intuition tells me I won't care as much. Hah.

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    I use Ubuntu simply because I enjoy using it.
    I know there are other systems out there that can do more and even better than Ubuntu.
    But the simple fact is I am quite happy with Ubuntu.

And that's my above all else requirement.
    Does it make me happy to use it?
    I am happy when I use Ubuntu. Why not? Hah.

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Because I also use Windows, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Bodhi, Oracle Solaris ... ?
    I'm a little confused. Your post means: you are unsure how many you use? Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by pauljwells View Post
    For me, Ubuntu is the easiest way to get all the latest software in a slick package.
    I like that, too, about Ubuntu. However, I know Fedora focuses on security. Does that therefore mean Ubuntu is less secure? And how? I honestly don't know the answer to those questions.

I personally think the whole Unity interface is beautiful and efficient, and you have the rock-solid backing of Debian
    I have heard this phrase before, "rock-solid". It must be pretty trustworthy... hah. Just a little!

I also use Windows (both 7 and 8) both of which I like; I bought a Surface Pro 2 tablet for my travel machine, but my home workstation runs 14.04 and is my default environment.
    What's your favorite operating system?

Beans

as far as I know the only thing you have to pay for is support if you choose the paid support option.
    I have one drive with six or seven os's installed every thing else is dual booted. 2 with win 7 ,incase i sell them and the buyer wants windows. one with xp which may be going away soon.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro

Don't overthink this. You are already using FreeBSD, and have left Windows and OS X behind.

You'll need to consider, and rank, what's important to you, then see how Ubuntu or any other Linux flavor matches up to FreeBSD.

If your use of a computer is confined to running a fairly standard set of mainstream applications, I suspect that more of those will be available for Ubuntu, and often more current versions, than for FreeBSD. Canonical is consciously making Ubuntu an attractive OS for mainstream desktops and portable devices. FreeBSD, on the other hand, has always targeted the server room.

Burn a live image, boot it, and give it a spin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast