Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unable to find, view or access Windows 8 files after Ubuntu install

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Unable to find view, or access Windows 8 files after Ubuntu install!!!

Congratulations to having found the files you need

I think the next step is rather straightforward. Get a big external drive to back-up all these files.

After that I think you should ask for oldfred's advice. He might be able to help you repair Windows without re-installing, now that we know that the file system is good.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Unable to find, view or access Windows 8 files after Ubuntu install

Backup, of course is first priority.

But you probably will have to have if Windows repair flash drive as all the size changes mean it needs chkdsk and chkdsk is one thing that cannot be done from Linux. But you may be able to get into Windows own repair tools with f8 if we can get it booting or perhaps set the chkdsk flag from ntfsfix so it does run it on a reboot. But not sure if booting will work.

Did you look in the FAT32 partition to see if it has any .efi files? There usually are backups in Windows also.
    But we will need a valid FAT32 partition with the boot flag to make it the efi partition and have Windows boot files in that partition. And then boot in UEFI mode not BIOS mode.

You should have a folder like this:
    /EFI/Microsoft
    And I think these are the very minimum needed to boot with in UEFI boot mode.

/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/BCD

If .efi files do not exist we should be able to copy the minimum files need to boot from Windows, but may need a third party Windows repair tool to fix /boot/BCD if that is not in current FAT32 partition.
    Last edited by oldfred; June 15th, 2014 at 09:32 PM.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah a USB drive or a CD absolutly WILL NOT hold it all. I have over 2,000 songs, 66 pictures, 60+ full length HD/BlueRay movies, and a few games on here lol. With my laptop being screwed up system information says that the Laptops full Disk space is 13GB and the Memory is 5.4GiB.

What it really has (that I can't use while it is screwed up) is :
    Disk - 500GB SATA
    Memory - 6GB

That probably explains when even though it was saying Disk space was 13 GB there are Volumes on the side of the File Explorer that are 54GB, 27GB, 19GB, 9.1GB, and 7.5GB. Even with the Computer Volume that is right below them that is only 128.1GB that Ubuntu was accessing lol.

Thank you guys again for all the help and I am eager to find something to hold all these files so I can continue with the repair process.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Your Windows was shrunk a lot and many small partitions created.

You need the Windows default UEFI partitions. Not sure if recovery partitions still exist. There are usually two recovery partitions. One is just the Windows repair partition which for some reason it calls recovery and the vendor image of the hard drive which is the vendor recovery. That is now the standard instead of shipping recovery Windows installer. You are supposed to immediately make a recovery DVD set in case hard drive fails, but in most cases you can just use it to restore system to like new. Many totally erase drive, but some will save you data. Always best to have a full image backup and a repair flash drive.

Do you want Ubuntu also or just repair Windows? If just Windows I will move thread to OtherOS and suggest also looking at the windowseight forum. I do not really know Windows other than what others have suggested.
    http://www.eightforums.com/

At the very least we need to restore an efi boot partition with Windows boot files. Have you looked in your FAT32 partition to see what is in it?
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Ill probably start with just getting Windows 8 back up and running and then after that is done I was thinking about adding a bootloader (probably Grub) and then installing OpenSUSE 13.1 but still need to check to see it is compatibility with my laptop, wifi card, graphic card, and sound card.
    ~~ Trying to Become a more efficient Ubuntu operator One Thread at a Time ~~
    { Using 17.3" Hp Pavilion g7 - 2269wm Notebook PC }

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Grub generally installed during OS install. Please post any support requests for Opensuse, if you have them, in the Other OS/Distro Support forum, or better still, on the Opensuse forums. Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Moved to OtherOS since really just Windows.

After you have the backups done, come back and we will re-review partitions. Many can be deleted, but you need to reconfigure or add some essential ones.

Beans
    Distro

Ok so I have been working hard all day trying to get everything worked out and I have made some progress. After literally 4 hours I managed to back up all the files I absolutely don't wanna lose. Now I'm back to not being able to figure out how to create a USB boot drive. I know the info is probably all over the place, but I can't seem to find it and don't even know what all that entails. I feel like I'm soo close and yet can't seem to reach it. Please someone help me reach a conclusion on this problem.

Thank's again for your time.

Beans

What do you want to make a bootable usb drive of, windows 8? Probably have better luck at the support.microsoft site or some windows 8 forum. If you are trying to get windows 8 running again, you might be able to use a friends install medium which should have a repair option. It would probably have to be the same version you were using.

Beans
    Distro

Alright Ill give that a shot seeing and thank you for the speedy response.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast