Thread: skype tray icon not show automatically

Hybrid View

Beans

skype tray icon not show automatically

Hi,

As the title says, skype tray icon is missing when login. It does show up if I move the cursor to a hot corner to activate the scale addon of switch to a different workplace and switch back. Ubuntu 14.04 with unity 7.2.0+14.04.20140423-0ubuntu1.2.

I tested on two machines with completely different specs so I don't think it is hardware or driver related.

P.S. It is not the same problem that some people reported where the tray icon doesn't show at all. It just doesn't show automatically. The fix for this problem is to install sni-qt:i386 but that is already installed.

Edited: The icon would also show up if I tab the wheel icon on the top right of the panel (where the drop down shows About this computer, system settings etc)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 14th, 2014 at 05:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: skype tray icon not show automatically

A better option is to forget about the tray icon and use skype-wrapper that will fully integrate Skype into the messaging menu (unread messages, pop-up notifications, etc.)

You can then close the Skype window (or minimise it), while it is running, and bring it up whenever you want by clicking on its entry in that menu (you can start it when it is not running by doing the same.) Also, every time you receive a new message it will appear in the messaging menu and you can then click on it to bring up the message window.

To get rid of the tray icon remove the package sni-qt:i386.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: you can access skype-wrapper's settings from your system settings (may not be there in 14.04). Alternatively, you can search for "skype" in the dash.
    Last edited by kostkon; June 14th, 2014 at 04:42 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the advice. but I would see if there is another solution before installing an additional package, it is mostly for someone I install Ubuntu for so maintenance is a consideration, I can deal with the present situation.

To get rid of the tray icon remove the package sni-qt:i386.
    But would that affect other tray icons?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    But would that affect other tray icons?
    Only old Qt apps that don't support indicators. Especially, If your installation is 64bit, only if you happen to install the 32bit version of an old Qt app; thus, in my opinion, the chances that you'll install an app that really needs a tray icon to work properly, but doesn't support indicators, are slim.

Beans

I am still experiencing this. Any suggestion or update?

Beans

I'd think the 'best' solution would be to enable (in source) a global systray in unity & get rid of sni-qt. I haven't seen any qt4 app that doesn't offer a systray option as good or better (vlc) than the sni-qt created indicator
    In the scenario of this thread this may not be the best option.