Thread: Goodbye dual boot, but a question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Goodbye dual boot, but a question

Long since Windows 7 quit behaving for me, and has a frozen mouse pointer and can't see a keyboard, I want to delete everything but the Users folder, and use the entire partition for storage. I have /home on a separate drive. If I delete everything but the Users folder and run update-grub, will that be enough?

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Goodbye dual boot, but a question

Oh, well. I did just delete everything, ran update-grub. I still see Windows in the GRUB menu, but it's gone!

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just guessing here. I wonder what would happen if you ran update-grub from a live CD/USB? If I'm reading correctly and you deleted Windows, it's certainly not going to boot. Why not just backup or move the Windows data files and delete everything?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Did you delete the hidden in Windows 100MB boot partition? That has the boot files which is what grub usually finds.
    Post this:
    sudo parted -l
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Did you delete the hidden in Windows 100MB boot partition? That has the boot files which is what grub usually finds.
    Post this:
    sudo parted -l
    When did Windows start creating a 100 MB boot partition on non-UEFI MSDOS partitioned machines? I did a temporary Win 7 install using a DVD burned from a recently downloaded iso and there it was, a 'system' partition. Earlier Win 7 installs didn't do this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Windows 7 only installs to one NTFS partition when you manually install to a already created NTFS partition with the boot flag.
    All standard Windows 7 & 8 systems as purchased system or installed to a blank drive in BIOS boot mode use MBR partitions and create a separate 100MB boot partition. That was so you could encrypt main install as boot files cannot be encrypted and boot partition has its recovery or really the repair console.

Many newer systems were UEFI capable but Windows 7 was in stalled in BIOS boot mode.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.