Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red warning triangle; what does it mean?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Red warning triangle; what does it mean?

Evening all.

I've been quite happily using Trusty Tahr for the last 3-4 weeks, and it's been behaving faultlessly.

Earlier on today, I noticed a red warning triangle on the taskbar, which upon clicking, declared that my "update information is out dated. Please update manually by selecting 'Show Updates' from the indicator menu, and watch for failing repositories..."

I've followed the instructions, and all my software is bang up to date. It disappeared for a couple of hours, but now it's back.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what may, or may not, be going on, please?

Mike Walsh.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu 14.04.2 LTS/64 & Linux Mint 17
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Puppy 'Tahrpup' 6.02 & Xubuntu 14.04.2 LTS/32
    IF the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Red warning triangle; what does it mean?

You may have it set to alert you for updates once a day. Check in Software Sources (or you can open the Update Manager, click the Settings button) under the Updates tab. Down the bottom it should be set for weekly, not daily (or whatever suits you).

To get it completely up to date, open a terminal and issue these three commands:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    ... if you haven't already. This will NOT upgrade the release to a newer one. Post any errors.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 13th, 2014 at 07:40 PM.

Beans

Open the terminal and run:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Then look for any errors, or post the full output here.

Beans
    Distro

Hi, Bucky Ball.

Yes you're quite right; I did have the update checks set for daily, rather than weekly.

I've applied those three commands; this was at the end of the first one.

W: GPG error: http://liveusb.info all Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 4E940D7FDD7FB8CC
    W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/faster3ck/c...amd64/Packages 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/faster3ck/c...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depo...amd64/Packages 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depo...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    paul@paul-EK335AA-ABU-SR1619UK-GB540:~$

Second one went through without any fuss.

Third one, just this little bit at the end:-

The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
    libsensors4:i386
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it.
    0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
    paul@paul-EK335AA-ABU-SR1619UK-GB540:~$

And that's it. However, I think you've cracked it for me, guys; the triangle has GONE.

Easy to tell us noobs, ain't it? (And this from somebody who's been playing about with these things since the days of the Commodore 64 and the Sinclair ZX81; jeez, I am SO embarrassed!)

Fancy making a basic error like that...

Still, it took me years to refine and adapt Windows systems to my personal requirements; I feel like I'm back at school again!

Cheers, guys..!

Mike

ps By the way, what does the 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' command do?
    IF the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

The error will come back.

I checked the first ppa - http://ppa.launchpad.net/faster3ck/c.../ubuntu/dists/ if you go there you'll see that it's not actually available for trusty

The third - no http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot/dists/all/hand/ there

You can remove these from Software Sources - or you can manually remove the files relating to them from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

You shouldn't get any errors showing up when running apt-get update

Beans
    Distro

Yep, you're absolutely right. The triangle IS back.

The menu attached to it says it may be caused by 'network problems, or a repository that is no longer available'; sounds like just what you've told me. (I know for a fact there's nothing wrong with my network...)

So...

What would be the best way to go about removing them Software Sources? Remember, I'm VERY much a beginner with the terminal!

Mike.

Beans

For the third one (multisystem), replace 'hand' in the end with 'main' (no quotes) and it will work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

As Elfy said, if you open your Software Sources (Software Updater>Settings>Other Software) and untick or remove the offending repositories (the ones showing the error at then end of the update command) it should go away permanently.

You could edit the 'multisystem' one, as suggested by monkeybrain20122 (in same place as above by clicking 'Edit'), and see if that fixes that one, but if not, untick or remove.

Beans

Well here is an easy way to edit/remove ppa. Open Sofware & Updates (either search in the dash or find it in the menu, depending on the DE) Go to "Other Software", find the ppas in question, right click and choose either "remove" or "edit".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Well here is an easy way to edit/remove ppa. Open Sofware & Updates (either search in the dash or find it in the menu, depending on the DE) Go to "Other Software", find the ppas in question, right click and choose either "remove" or "edit".
    Erm, I've said that two posts ago ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast