Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with 12.04 and Gnome desktop.

Beans

Problems with 12.04 and Gnome desktop.

I was recently forced to upgrade to 12.04, one of the latest software updates cratered 10.04. I decided to install Gnome using the instructions here: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/c...cise12?lang=en

That machine no longer boots. I really don't have time to rebuild it this weekend, but it looks like I have no choice. In the past, Ubuntu has been solid. I'm beginning to worry.

For the record, I tried safe mode and let it repair packages. It boots part way and stops. Maybe a fresh install will work better.
    There are those who make things happen, there are those who watch things happen, I usually wander around trying to figure out what happened.

Beans

Re: 12.04 and Gnome desktop. Don't try it.

Those instructions leave a lot to be desired, this would have been better IMHO:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

Are you at least able to access the login screen?

If so be sure to select Classic (no effects).

What exactly happens when you do try to boot?

I'm really just guessing here but I suppose it's possible you may have both gdm and lightdm installed

If so maybe run:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    And be sure to select lightdm if offered a choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Usually upgrading is quite reliable, especially if you don't have third-party software. Upgrading a broken install however often gives you a broken install. You could better have done a fresh install of 14.04 in the first place. 12.04 only has 3 years of support left (1 for some other desktops), and you don't seem eager to upgrade. 20 minute download (depending on your connection), 20 minute install and one day to configure your system, reinstall your software and find replacements for software that is no longer supported.

Beans

It starts booting and gets to the part where it's starting the CUPS printing service. At that point it locks up. I can boot using safe mode, but nothing there will allow a normal boot. I'll try the most basic boot and see if I can get to a command prompt. Thanks!
    There are those who make things happen, there are those who watch things happen, I usually wander around trying to figure out what happened.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Those instructions leave a lot to be desired, this would have been better IMHO:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

Are you at least able to access the login screen?

If so be sure to select Classic (no effects).

What exactly happens when you do try to boot?

I'm really just guessing here but I suppose it's possible you may have both gdm and lightdm installed

If so maybe run:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    And be sure to select lightdm if offered a choice.
    I tried that, but it just changed the owner of a directory. I'm rebuilding now and have a question in on how to proceed without doing more damage. Thanks for the suggestion.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Problems with 12.04 and Gnome desktop.

I have changed the title of the thread.

It is hasty to assume that our own issues are universal.

Beans

The problem wasn't with the upgrade to 12.04, the problem was with the Gnome installation. I have no idea what happened, but a rebuild is underway. This will be a complete re-install and not a repair or update.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I have changed the title of the thread.

It is hasty to assume that our own issues are universal.
    Quite true, The title should have included "Don't try it this way."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I've merged your similar thread with this one and deleted a duplicated post.

Please do not create duplicate threads, it dilutes community effort.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Not a support request. If you want help with anything please post a new thread with a descriptive title in the appropriate forum. Good luck.

(For the record, gnome desktop environment is in the repos. Think you could have installed it from Software Centre. Always look there first. You might like to also try xfce4. Much more of a gnome feel. Maybe even try an Xubuntu install. It is more pared back and faster than Ubuntu. Xubuntu has three years LTS support, so 12.04 reaches EOL in April 2015.)
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 13th, 2014 at 06:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast