Thread: Small Laptop, Which One Is Best?

Beans

Exclamation Small Laptop, Which One Is Best?

Hey all.

Im looking at purhasing a small Laptop but I want one that can run Ubuntu with no or minimal issues. Anyone here running ubuntu on a small Laptop? If so which laptop are you using? Im not really bothered about price (although the cheaper the better). I did see a small Asus laptop / detactable tablet in Currys at the airport that looked quite good for what I need however I didnt have my usb stick with ubuntu on it to try it. Going to take that to PCWorld when I get home. But prior to that I wanted to see if you had any recommendations?.

Cheers in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Small Laptop, Which One Is Best?

i have HP Pavilion dm1 (model with E-450)

12.04 Works perfectly all out of the box. 13.04 has some issues, 13.10 even more issues, 14.04 even more.. anyway not all Works but there are workarorunds. mostly i am just plagued by Fn keys not working) i am not sure hwo compatible it Will be with newer dm1 models but the model is certified for 12.04. so i am kind of hoping that stuff that used to work get's fixed soon.

anyway moral of the story- even if stuff works with 14.04 there is no guarantee it will work in newer versions.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

The one that suits you best is best. The answer to the question is completely subjective. Write a list of what you want to do with the machine and that will give you an idea of what type of machine you will need regarding RAM, CPU, screen size, etc. Good luck.

For what it's worth, I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro L510. Faultless. My wife's Compaq 610 (model from memory) is less happy, but has been tweaked into submission over the years and releases. It is far from a new machine, though. Dual core something with 2Gb of RAM.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 13th, 2014 at 10:18 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Niora View Post
    I'm looking at purchasing a small Laptop but I want one that can run Ubuntu with no or minimal issues.

.... Currys ....
    As you are evidently in the UK, eBuyer are selling a laptop preloaded with Ubuntu (so you wouldn't have to pay for Windows, and I assume that you can be confident it will work). I don't know anything about it other than spotting it on the website, but it looks a reasonable spec and very good price.

http://www.ebuyer.com/620311-hp-255-...tu-h6q17ea-abu

It's not that small though. As noted above, work out what is important to you and buy that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Niora,
    may I suggest if following an AMD/ATI route you give some thought as to any closed sourced drivers that may needed along with any detriments to graphics performance when using Ubuntu.
    Also an idea to search these forums for posts associated with your proposed new kit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Niora,

When you say small laptop how small are you looking for.
    System 76 has a nice one with ubuntu preinstalled also Zareason has a few lightwiegth ones with Linux pre installed.

Some have had good success with Chromebooks,
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Ubuntu 15.04 /14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can see Asus Transformer T100 launched recently..
    Plus Points..
    -Good Battery Life (11 hrs Approx.)
    -Tablet/Laptop
    -ASUS (Best Build Quality)

Beans
    Hidden!

A Chromebook dual booted with Chrubuntu is an affordable solution.
    Don't worry about the storage as the chromebook can work with an external HDD just fine (I have and Acer C720P).