Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: working with unity8

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: working with unity8

Greetings,
    In addition, when I go to root and shutdown my system using 'shutdown -H now' I get considerable systemd service calls in the shutdown stream. Yet proc/1 indicates that upstart is running. This causes me to think about the meaning of the appearance of the systemd-shim and complete systemd update that recently appeared in Utopic. I think that with the Unity Next system Utopic is using Upstart and the Unity8 desktop is using systemd. This sounds wierd but I know for a fact that systemd is being used without booting systemd (from default grub).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The promise was that the change over would not be noticeable to the user. I see that as meaning gradual and tested. Can Ubuntu run Upstart and SystemD at the same time? Or is it an all or nothing choice? I can imagine, in my simplistic way of thinking, a process where Upstart scripts are re-written to work with either Upstart or SystemD and then when the switch is thrown and everything is playing nicely with everything else, those scripts being cleaned up to work only with SystemD.

Do not forget that Ubuntu has to sync with Debian. So, Debian has to make many changes before Ubuntu can pull them in.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    @grahammechanical, So then! could it be possible that the systemd litter that I am seeing at root (display) is synthetic and that it is upstart masquerading as systemd? I can accept the possibility of that idea. Also, I think that Cannonical walks away from Debian on this one, unless you think that debian will be running apps also. There is questions in the spinoff segment, xubuntu, kubuntu, puppy, mint etc, as to their plight over this Unity Next convergence of Phone, Tablet and Desktop. In other words how do they continue as 'buntu's' with this new paradigm (not to change topics, just to follow your statements).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    I updated my Ubuntu-desktop-next dvd last night and performed a complete reinstall. Unity 8 seems to be the same but the partitioner in the installer has vastly improved. Now that the USB creator in Utopic is working I am burning the ISO to my USB stick instead of DVD-RW. From USB it is only a few minutes to install. The Unity 8 install takes less time than it does to create the USB Startup in the first place. The Unity8 desktop seemed smoother but I don't have a way to benchmark the experience and I don't have a touch system so its click.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

In other words how do they continue as 'buntu's' with this new paradigm (not to change topics, just to follow your statements).
    That is exactly what I am thinking. Debian chose SystemD and Ubuntu also chose it because Ubuntu is built on Debian. But what will the developers of the spin-offs do? Stop at 14.04?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Unity 8 desktop is changing fast. Still a lot of bugs but it is getting better and better. The whole log-on style has changed now. It interacts a lot faster also .. My only complaint is that I can't take screenshots or use programs like gnome-terminal.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567