Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: downloaded apps appear in task bar on left of desktop,but no GUI appears

Beans

downloaded apps appear in task bar on left of desktop,but no GUI appears

iinstalled 14.04 today,and been looking forwardto it,however i am finding that none of the apps i have installed load their GUI onto screen.
    they do appear on the left hand task bar. (vlc,deluge torrent handler, transmission torrent handler, and a good few more)
    when i tried to launch deluge,for eg, it appears on task bar,and when i click on it to get the menu, either nothing happoens, or screen darkens in tone as if it were "freezing up".

it also so happens that many things are taking a long time to laod. lots of that little spinning wheel.
    any advice? please keepit simple as i am a total novice with ubuntu yet. i am so keen to get this nOS upand running fully.been looking very forward toit.
    thank you allvery kindly.
    Last edited by Un_Known; June 12th, 2014 at 12:40 PM.

Beans

Re: downloadedapps appear in task bar on left of desktop,but no GUI appears!

a further issue i am having is that,for eg,when i am trying to download a torrent from a torrent link,when i click the link i get the "launch application" dialogue window and guess what,it dosnt show the apps i need,and it is not at all obvious where to find them in there. may just be my lack of ubuntu knowledge,but seems impossible.
    any hints?
    there are a few more related problems, but dont wanna crampo you all,and am very tired.been trying to figure this stuff out all night.

Beans

further info to apps not showing up. when i click their icon,or right click and get menu, the screen fades,and a top bar appears for them (you know,the one with the cross,minus sign,and square to minimize,expand,or close giu etc,but nothing apopears in that faded space.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The Unity desktop has its quirks; you might want a more traditional one. Try this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    Hit Y when it asks, and let it download and install. Then log out and select "Xubuntu" from the button by your login. Log in and see if you like XCFE (the desktop used in Xubuntu) better.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

ok,am not sure i understand this fully,or which aspect of my problems it helps heal. but i suppose i can try.thanx.
    OH,log out?log out of what? and log into what?

Beans

You can launch an application by clicking on the dash-home icon, the Ubuntu logo in the extreme upper left of the Desktop. When it opens, there is a Search box. Type the name of the app and its icon should appear, just click it. You can also open in a terminal by giving the full path as with vlc: /usr/bin/vlc. If you don't know where the app is, do whereis vlc to find the path.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    You can launch an application by clicking on the dash-home icon, the Ubuntu logo in the extreme upper left of the Desktop. When it opens, there is a Search box. Type the name of the app and its icon should appear, just click it. You can also open in a terminal by giving the full path as with vlc: /usr/bin/vlc. If you don't know where the app is, do whereis vlc to find the path.
    yes, i knew that. thank you,but it dosnt really appear to answer much of my problems yancek. and dosnt answer why this is happening or how the actual prolem/s can be genuinely fixed.

also,i installed museek, (i have used soulseek for years, so know how it works),and it wont connect.in fact many of my devices that need to connect to the net,dont,even thoi tried switching the firewall off
    most of my apps dont work,even the native ubuntu movie player dosnt really work and cant load multiple files.
    Last edited by Un_Known; June 12th, 2014 at 12:38 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    The Unity desktop has its quirks; you might want a more traditional one. Try this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    Hit Y when it asks, and let it download and install. Then log out and select "Xubuntu" from the button by your login. Log in and see if you like XCFE (the desktop used in Xubuntu) better.
    i would like to try this,but which issue is it refering to? and what does it do? i would rather fix what i have BEFORE i try another desktop. i dont want to get into desktop fan clubs just yet.no offense intended.

ah, to heck,i'll just try that now! ..........
    seemed to install! not sure what to do now though.
    last section of terminaltxct said this:
    etting up xubuntu-docs (14.04.1) ...
    Setting up xubuntu-icon-theme (14.04.2) ...
    Setting up xubuntu-wallpapers (14.04.2) ...
    Setting up brltty-x11 (5.0-2ubuntu2) ...
    Setting up gnome-system-tools (3.0.0-3ubuntu4) ...
    Setting up ristretto (0.6.3-2ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up xbrlapi (5.0-2ubuntu2) ...
    Setting up xfce4-places-plugin (1.6.0-1ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.103ubuntu4) ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-29-lowlatency
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6) ...
    so i guess thats correct?
    Last edited by Un_Known; June 12th, 2014 at 08:37 PM. Reason: corrections,and adding further!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What happens when you launch one of those misbehaving programs from the terminal? Does the GUI work then, and if not are there any error messages in the terminal?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If I understand main question correctly, the answer - to get icons on the desktop - is http://askubuntu.com/questions/45026...sktop-shortcut

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast