Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420, S-video

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420

I don't need something that's "workable". As you read in my first post, my problem is the S-Video out is completely glitched in the Noveau drivers, not the VGA. The VGA was a bit glitchy though before I uninstalled Noveau, ex the terminal became transparent sometimes. Just curious, it I uninstalled Noveau then how can I still get an image on the screen.

also why do you always
    do this at the end of your posts
    EDIT: can't get it to work, how do you do that indenting thing xD
    "I used to think I knew a lot about computers. Then I tried Ubuntu."
    MY SYSTEMS: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS on an HP EliteBook 6930p; Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a 16GB flash drive; Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS on a Dell Dimension 4550

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

quadrplax; Hello,

All we can do is try, - That card is legacy, and no longer has any support from Nvidia so our only recourse is explicitly using the fall back kernel driver "llvmpipe" - what is loaded IF nothing else is loaded ; the driver that grub utilizes prior to loading the kernel - or see what we can do with the open source driver "nouveau".
    To that end we need to make sure that there is nothing Nvidia residing on the system at present, make sure that we install the "nouveau" driver.
    Let's see what we have presently on the system. Post back the outputs of terminal commands:
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    sudo lshw -C display
    dpkg -l | grep nvidia
    And we will proceed to purge Nvidia and install the nouveau driver; and see what results with the boot parameter "nouveau.noaccel=1".
    -----------------
    Off Topic - How to indent-

Rather than use the "quick reply" button @ lower right of the post, choose the big red button "+ Reply to Thread" @ lower left and gets you many more "editing" functions. ( all that may also be replicated from terminal if you know the BB code sequences ). The "indent" function is in the 2nd row, 10th icon to the right.
    //
    As to my ending quips, personal indication of my "end of transmission" -> a attitude developed years ago in the realm of teletyped communications. And as well, a make up of my sore lack in proper communications skills. A means of self identity (??) and projecting my image .
    -------------------------

everything is but
    a process in learning
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok, I'll try that. I'm guessing that the basic driver will work out just fine. I know that at least by default Noveau doesn't look right. I did have this card working before in Windows XP (via S-Video) and I don't remember needing to install the driver when I would reload OS (but I could if I wanted to for more display settings). Also, the bios is perfectly happy with using the S-Video port. I'll post back when I get a chance to test this.
    MY SYSTEMS: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS on an HP EliteBook 6930p; Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a 16GB flash drive; Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS on a Dell Dimension 4550

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Code:
    lspquadrplax@Starbase5-Linux:~$ sudo -i
    [sudo] password for quadrplax: 
    root@Starbase5-Linux:~# lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 420] [10de:0172] (rev a3)
        Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:015a]
        Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidiafb, rivafb
    02:01.0 Communication controller [0780]: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp Modem [14f1:2016] (rev 01)
    root@Starbase5-Linux:~# sudo lshw -C display
      *-display UNCLAIMED     
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: NV17 [GeForce4 MX 420]
           vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           version: a3
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 66MHz
           capabilities: pm agp agp-2.0 vga_controller cap_list
           configuration: latency=64 maxlatency=1 mingnt=5
           resources: memory:fc000000-fcffffff memory:f4000000-f7ffffff memory:f3f80000-f3ffffff memory:f0000000-f001ffff
    root@Starbase5-Linux:~# dpkg -l | grep nvidia
    ii  nvidia-common                              1:0.2.44.2                          Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
    root@Starbase5-Linux:~#

Beans
    Distro

quadrplax; Well,

That says you have no graphics driver presently loaded.

It is past my thinkability for this session, I will pick this up on my morrow and we get Nvidia removed and nouveau installed and see what it looks like.

in due time

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro

quadrplax; ; OK.

Back in the saddle.

Find the .run file for the uninstall operation: (maybe)
    Code:
    sudo find / -name "NVIDIA-Linux-*"
    well on our way

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wait, so I need to remove Nvidia drivers yet I have no drivers installed? Anyways, after searching the root, all it found were the two files in my Downloads folder, ake version 96.43.23 and 96.34.20 of the installation file.

Beans
    Distro

quadrplax; Welp ....

We need to insure there are no residual config files from Nvidia that will interfere/conflict with 'nouveau'.
    Which brings to mind we need to check and make sure Nvidia has not blacklisted 'nouveau' !
    Code:
    sudo grep 'blacklist.*nouveau' /etc/modprobe.d/*
    Not really knowing what might have taken place with the attempted install(s) of the proprietary driver, let's see what results:

From console - so we can stop lightdm - key combo ctl+alt+ F1 -> console
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop
    cd Downloads
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-96.34.20.run --uninstall ##Assuming this is a 64 bit OS 
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-96.43.23.run --uninstall ## assuming this is a 64 bit OS
    cd
    sudo nvidia-settings --uninstall
    sudo nvidia-uninstall
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop ##YOU do have (u)buntu desk top version installed, right ?
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
    update-initramfs -u
    Reboot to the grub boot menu - > 'e' key for edit mode and append "nouveau.noaccel=1" to the line @ "quiet splash". Key combo ctl+x to continue the boot process.

Can you now get good graphics and is the S-Video port working ?

If so we will make the boot parameter permanent by editing the file "/etc/default/grub".
    Your card will not support 3d graphics either, so in the display set up; disable all added effects and accelerations.

My hope
    workie great last long time

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok, I haven't run the commands you just posted. As a test, I connected the TV to the computer again. Before I used a 4-Pin S-video to RCA cable to connect it. I tried doing 4-Pin to 4-Pin and got no image, but with the 4-Pin to RCA, now after removing default drivers, it works fine! I had to manually set the resolution with xrandr to be able to see it on the TV, but other than that all seems good now. Good thing I have a S-Video to RCA cable I guess. That's weird actual S-Video doesn't work (I know it's not a cable flaw). Best guess there is because computer is 7-Pin port and VCR is 4-Pin. Whatever though, RCA isn't too bad quality on a bad TV anyway.

Beans
    Distro

quadrplax; Great !

If it ain't broke, do not fix it.

As it suits you I am tickled pink. We can save all this for another day.

good work, done cheap

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12