Thread: Heads up for Firefox 30. It Disables Plugins By Default

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Heads up for Firefox 30. It Disables Plugins By Default

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/06/f...MG!+Ubuntu!%29

Should come through the normal updates in the next few days.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Heads up for Firefox 30. It Disables Plugins By Default

I wish these plugins would disappear too and I think they will, eventually. A browser should be fully functional by itself, without the need of third-party installations. But the problem right now is that Mozilla doesn't offer any kind of alternative. Many people still rely on these plugins to get their things to work as it should, so ''forbiding'' them by default can only serve to annoy the user. Snubbing plugins as if Mozilla's browser was above this, which is clearly not the case, is doubtful.

The reality is that Firefox is still heavily dependant on plugins, such as Adobe Flash and so far they have left Linux users in the dark with an old version of the plugin. We don't hear much about ''Shumway'' these days and one cannot have much hope to see it implemented soon at this point.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; June 11th, 2014 at 05:24 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tar_Ni View Post
    I wish these plugins would disappear too and I think they will, eventually. A browser should be fully functional by itself, without the need of third-party installations. But the problem right now is that Mozilla doesn't offer any kind of alternative. Many people still rely on these plugins to get their things to work as it should, so ''forbiding'' them by default can only serve to annoy the user. Snubbing plugins as if Mozilla's browser was above this, which is clearly not the case, is doubtful.

The reality is that Firefox is still heavily dependant on plugins, such as Adobe Flash and so far they have left Linux users in the dark with an old version of the plugin. We don't hear much about ''Shumway'' these days and one cannot have much hope to see it implemented soon at this point.
    I don't really see what the big deal is. It is not like google which simply removes plugin support for Chrome/Chromium, THAT is crippling.

If you want some plugins to run automatically just go to Tools > Addons > Plugins and change "Ask to activate" to "Always activate" There are only a few plugins (all mplayer/Totem) for media. Alternatively allow a plugin on a webpage and click "Allow and remember" then it will load automatically on that page.

For flash I always set to "Ask to activate" anyway, there is no sense to allow it to run automatically as it slows down the browser and runs up cpu usage by loading all kind of garbage, before the click and play option is available many people used flashblock to do the same thing. But strangely flash is the only plugin enabled by default.

Edited: upgraded just this morning.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 11th, 2014 at 07:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for that everybody. I just updated too.
    Don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It arrived through normal updates here today.