Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what version of ubuntu should i install

Beans

what version of ubuntu should i install

im new to linux, but want to give it a try. but i noticed the 32bit version is up to 2gb of ram. while my pc has about 3 and a quarter gigabytes. this pc is a older 32bit windows xp with what i think is a pentium 4. so should i install 32 and lose 1 and a quarter gigs or get 64. is there any problems or slowdowns with 64 bit linux on a older 32bit machine?

Beans

what version of ubuntu should i install

im new to linux, but want to give it a try. but i noticed the 32bit version is up to 2gb of ram. while my pc has about 3 and a quarter gigabytes. this pc is a older 32bit windows xp with what i think is a pentium 4. so should i install 32 and lose 1 and a quarter gigs or get 64. is there any problems or slowdowns with 64 bit linux on a older 32bit machine?

Beans

Re: what version of ubuntu should i install

32bit version will be fine with up to 4gb of memory, but 64bit will not run on a system that dosn't have a 64bit processor.
    I would give the 32bit a try first. Burn it to a disk or put it on a usb drive if you can boot from there, it will run without you having to install it gives you the option to try before you buy
    Hope that helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I'm using 1.8 GB of ram at the moment with 14.04 64 bit on a Core2 duo system 4GB ram,with chromium browser open (6 tabs).
    I would download the isos for Ubuntu,lubuntu and xubuntu and create bootable usb drives and test them on your system to check compatibility/speed.
    14.10 amd64

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It really sounds like your computer is 32 bit. With that said I would likely try Lubuntu or Xubuntu. Try either or both of these on a USB stick live and see what works for you after a day or so of each.
    UsingTheTerminal and PopularPages A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Some P4's are x64. Let us know the exact model number. And unlike windows, on linux 4GB works fine. With x32, however, you might not be able to use that much RAM for any single process, that's the advantage x64 has. But I doubt you will be using anything to use RAM beyond 1-2GB on that box, so worry not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you have at least 2GB RAM in a 64-bit capable CPU/chipset use 64-bit version.
    If RAM is <2GB prefer 32-bit even if the hardware supports 64-bit.

The usable RAM limitation for a 32-bit OS is a Windows problem, not Linux. You won't 'loose' RAM in a 32-bit Ubuntu.
    What Windows version it has now is irrelevant. OK, The machine CURRENTLY has a 32-bit XP; it tells us nothing about whether it supports a 64-bit OS or not.

Anyway,
    A full hardware specs list is a must. Nobody can (or should) suggest one or the other without knowing what's inside. Nevertheless, as a rule of thumb, if it has 2GB or more RAM -and- it did at some time run a 64-bit version then choose that one also for Linux. It usually performs better but not so much in older hardware as I suspect yours is.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Some Pentium 4s and other CPUs of that vintage are 64-bit compatible. Look up your CPU model number and find out if it is 64-bit. If it is, run 64-bit Ubuntu; there is virtually no reason for you not to.

If your CPU is 32-bit you need to stick to the 32-bit edition. 64-bit won't run on a 32-bit CPU.

A 32-bit OS can work with up to 4GB of RAM, not 2GB.

Beans

My old fossil, with only 1/2 GB of RAM, runs Xubuntu beautifully and fast. Even on much more powerful machines it's gorgeous, polished, and sensible.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Please don't create multiple threads on the same subject, I have merged your two threads.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast