Thread: system requirements

Beans

system requirements

I have been using ubuntu 12.04 LTS and want to try ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Is there any difference in the system requirements? I still use 32 bit versions. My computer has 1 gig RAM, but I'm also installing a friend's computer that only has 500MB RAM... is that a problem? Also, I was told his computer would work better using Gnome 2 instead of unity... can I set this up during install or do it after? I also have ubuntu 10.04 but it's not supported. If I use this older version will I have issues with adding applications with software center (and dependancies)? Should I use another flavour of ubuntu (I have never tried these before)?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: system requirements

Ubuntu 14.04 is slightly lighter than 12.04 but for old hardware Lubuntu 14.04 is a better choice. Please see the link in my signature for more information.

10.04 (desktop) is obsolete and should not be used regardless of hardware.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would just like to add that Gnome 2 is no longer being developed by the Gnome organisation. They have switched to Gnome 3 and that is what Ubuntu is built upon. There are some developers who are not connected to Ubuntu that are trying to keep the Gnome 2 user interface style going. As for system requirements

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements

This, in my opinion, is a key requirement that is often overlooked when comparing system specifications

3D Acceleration Capable Videocard with at least 256 MB
    The more video memory the card has the better the user experience will be. Especially with Ubuntu and Unity. I am running Ubuntu 14.04 on the same hardware that I installed Ubuntu 7.04 on with the one exception. I changed the video card to one with 1GB of its own memory. And so I have a good user experience.

Some people like the look of the old Gnome 2 panel user interface. We can install software that will give us a similar look but we cannot install Gnome 2 on Ubuntu 14.04. Here are the system requirements for both Xubuntu and Lubuntu

http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/requirements/

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes/Lubuntu

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Your system wont give you satisfactory performance if you used Ubuntu Unity version. Xubuntu is your best bet, it does work well on older systems with less of everything, unless we are talking about RAM lower than 1GB and early P4 processors. If latter is true then Lubuntu is your best bet.