Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't update 10.04! Here's what to do if you already did.

Beans

Don't update 10.04! Here's what to do if you already did.

The latest updates to 10.04 cause problems with online activities. Thunderbird, Firefox, and Opera are all affected. There are probably more. You have two options at this point. First, you can upgrade to 12.04. That should be an option in update manager. Or, you can roll back the update and continue with the previous version. Both have a couple of drawbacks. Upgrading to 12.04 (or higher) may slow down older hardware. It did in my case. Remaining with the previous version will prevent any future updates.

If you wish to roll back to the point prior to the latest updates, install Grub Customizer and move the previous version to the top of the list. The first version listed (you'll want the one that lists 60 as the first one) is the one that boots automatically. You can find more on Grub Customizer here http://launchpad.net/~danielrichter2...rub-customizer

Other posts on this subject can be found here.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2228304
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2228459
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2228265

Beans

Re: Don't update 10.04! Here's what to do if you already did.

It is very bad advice to not to update 10.04. It is unsupported (therefore security risk) and all the software is very outdated. It is a vastly suboptimal computing experience comparing to what is available now.

On the other hand don't go the route of "upgrade", always back up your data and do a fresh install of a supported version of *buntu, it is a lot faster and a lot less problematic.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Threads mentioned in original post have been merged.

Besides, +1 to what Monkeybrain writes.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

I understand that the unsupported version may have some security risk, but users are picky. Not all users are power users ready to dive in to command line processing and learning the latest and greatest system. Many users treat computers like a toaster. They want toast, not new ways to make toast. One of the users that I helped with this problem is 60, a cancer survivor, and has several other health problems. He doesn't like change. He just wants to read his mail, check on his kids and grandkids on facebook, and do a couple of other things online. Installing a new version, updating the GUI, and making the changes necessary to keep going are beyond him. I converted him to Ubuntu years ago to prevent some of the malware issues he was facing with Windows. There have been a lot of comments saying that users should upgrade, but none explaining why an update was released that would shut a system down without warning. Some have said it was because 10.04 server edition is still valid. Was a simple check to see what was installed too much to ask? Can Ubuntu not tell what it's about to over-write? I've only been a software developer for 30 years (application, not OS), but it appears to me that some kind of check should be possible. In any case, the systems I help with (friends and family) are up and running again. I hope yours fare as well in the future.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Without security updates for over a year your friend could end up with a lot more problems than you currently envisage. No security updates = security vulnerability. That 10.04 LTS machine shouldn't even be online.

Why not Xubuntu 12.04 LTS or 12.04 LTS with Gnome? I have no idea why you think upgrading to a newer version means you need to become some sort of terminal/coding guru. Did you need to do that to install 10.04 in the first place?

Good luck with it all. The only updates you will be getting are for things like Firefox, Opera and Thunderbird so your questions really are about that. Newer versions of these will probably not work with 10.04 so you may have no choice but to upgrade eventually ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu 10.04 was an LTS release and it most certainly possible to upgrade from one LTS to the next. It is indeed an option in Update manager and has been there since 12.04 LTS was released. But we cannot get from 10.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS without going first to 12.04 LTS.

There is a big code difference between 10.04 and 12.04. To start with the Gnome developers stopped working on Gnome 2 and its Gnome 2 panel user interface and switched to Gnome 3 and its Gnome 3 shell. Ubuntu now uses Gnome 3 but with the Unity user interface that was developed by Ubuntu developers.

In many ways there is also a big code difference between 12.)4 and 14.04. Life moves on.

An OS does not slow down older hardware. It will push older hardware harder and it may prove to be that the hardware cannot cope with the demands of the newer OS. This is especially true of the graphic adapter. This is a fact of computing life.

Many of us recommend a fresh install rather than an upgrade. I have Ubuntu on hardware that is more than 5 years old and I am happy but I recognise that Xubuntu and Lubuntu can be better choices for certain hardware.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I migrated from Windows in 2011 to Ubuntu. I've upgraded every time an upgrade has been available and I haven't noticed anything bad happening nor have I had to learn things all over again. So I don't understand what you mean either.
    Be inspired by phreaking.
    http://tinyurl.com/about-phreaking
    And don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Without security updates for over a year your friend could end up with a lot more problems than you currently envisage. No security updates = security vulnerability. That 10.04 LTS machine shouldn't even be online.

Why not Xubuntu 12.04 LTS or 12.04 LTS with Gnome? I have no idea why you think upgrading to a newer version means you need to become some sort of terminal/coding guru. Did you need to do that to install 10.04 in the first place?

Good luck with it all. The only updates you will be getting are for things like Firefox, Opera and Thunderbird so your questions really are about that. Newer versions of these will probably not work with 10.04 so you may have no choice but to upgrade eventually ...
    Actually, 10.04 continues to update nicely. The Linux kernel updated this week and the lib modules continue to receive regular updates also. Not sure why all the naysayers. I'm sure there are some items from 10.04 not being updated but it's not like updates are not happening. I'm can understand those that like to do a fresh install on a new Ubuntu version, but I can only think the depth of the installation must be pretty shallow. I can't see reinstalling all the VPN, FTP, Wine, Virtualbox, email (5 accounts), etc. settings for each new install. Not to mention the dozens of applications and tweaks involved with a heavily used system. I also don't see new versions of Ubuntu offering me anything that superior to what I am running now in 10.04 although I am partial to Gnome 2 and Compiz. I do run each new release on a test machine as well as other distros.

That said, the newest updates received yesterday on 10.04 shut down my keyboard and mouse clicks. (Mouse pointer moves but no clicks registering from the buttons.) Anyone car to speculate on why and how to fix? Been doing allot of forum searching this morning and can't find anything definitive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Did you install the server version? That is supported for five years, until 2015. Sure sounds like it if you're getting kernel updates ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Niets View Post
    Actually, 10.04 continues to update nicely. The Linux kernel updated this week and the lib modules continue to receive regular updates also. Not sure why all the naysayers. I'm sure there are some items from 10.04 not being updated but it's not like updates are not happening. I'm can understand those that like to do a fresh install on a new Ubuntu version, but I can only think the depth of the installation must be pretty shallow. I can't see reinstalling all the VPN, FTP, Wine, Virtualbox, email (5 accounts), etc. settings for each new install. Not to mention the dozens of applications and tweaks involved with a heavily used system. I also don't see new versions of Ubuntu offering me anything that superior to what I am running now in 10.04 although I am partial to Gnome 2 and Compiz. I do run each new release on a test machine as well as other distros.

That said, the newest updates received yesterday on 10.04 shut down my keyboard and mouse clicks. (Mouse pointer moves but no clicks registering from the buttons.) Anyone car to speculate on why and how to fix? Been doing allot of forum searching this morning and can't find anything definitive.
    You got the updates ok but now you have a messed up mouse and keyboard. I'm sure someone will say it happened because you need to upgrade.

I dont know why someone would do a fresh install unless they're forced into it because, as you said, they have reinstall everything and that's a lot of trouble. Personally I've always just upgraded and never fresh installed. It's too much trouble.
    Be inspired by phreaking.
    http://tinyurl.com/about-phreaking
    And don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast