Thread: Unity is broken

Beans

Unity is broken

I have 14.04 Trusty installed, and I have broken it somehow while trying to fix the issue of resume from suspend (this is a separate issue). Now, after logging in, instead of the unity task bar I get "Activities" at the top (is this Gnome desktop?). So, I can use this to open a terminal, and run "dconf reset -f /org/compiz/" and then "setsid unity".

Now I get unity back (yay!) but when I reboot it doesn't stay there (boo!). Also, under System Settings my "Appearance" icon is missing and probably a few others I haven't noticed).

I have done ctl-alt-f1 and in the terminal run "sudo apt-get install --reinstall unity" and "sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop". Neither of these seem to help either.

Does anyone have any ideas, please, on how I can reset whatever could be broken so unity restarts. I do have a full backup, but it's a painful route to restore and then update with latest emails, documents etc changed since the backup.
    Last edited by Dave_Jury; June 7th, 2014 at 02:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity is broken

Did you install Gnome Flashback or Gnome Classic? One or the other will give us "activities" depending on the circumstances. Gnome Flashback gives us two additional login options - Gnome flashback (Compiz) and Gnome Flashback (Metacity).

It could be that Compiz is not loading and you are logging in to Flashback running on Metacity. I have Flashback installed on my Ubuntu development version just in case an update breaks Compiz. I can use Metacity to get to a working desktop. To reset Compiz

Code:
    dcof reset -f /org/compiz/
    If you are running on Metacity then you might want to remove and re-install Compiz Configuration Settings Manager and plugins extra (if installed) or even re-install Compiz. Another question: Did you disable the Unity plugin in CCSM? Doing that will cause something like this to happen.

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; June 7th, 2014 at 01:36 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Re: Unity is broken

Hi, thanks for your advice, which certainly steered me in the right direction. I have fixed it now, through sheer blind luck, and in spite of my tremendous ignorance. Your reference to Gnome certainly helped, and here's what I did in a terminal window (not tty):
    "sudo apt-get remove gnome-shell"
    "sudo apt-get remove compiz" (this removed ubuntu-desktop and unity as well)
    "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop (this installed compiz and unity as well)

That's it! Fixed! I still don't know why gnome-shell would be messing this up, but just removing and installing compiz, ubuntu-desktop and unity on their own without removing gnome-shell didn't work.