Thread: boot options

Beans

boot options

I'm trying to set up my Gazelle Pro to dual boot Ubuntu and openSUSE, so I have a USB drive that I'm trying to boot from. The problem is that the boot options don't have the usual names like CD-ROM, USB, etc. Instead it looks like they're labeled with the manufacturer. I have one that contains "HD" that's obviously the hard drive, but the other read "Staples 1.14", "REALTEK" followed by what look like a model number, and one other that I can't remember at the moment. Anyone know which is USB? I was thinking it would be the RealTek, but that one just boots up normally.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: boot options

Try them one after another, they are not too many for simple trial and error

If that does not help you, try according to this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...puter_from_USB

Some pendrives are better booters, some are worse (the hardware). It is also important to create the pendrive with a good tool. You find many tips about those things if you browse the whole web page of the link above.

Beans

Monitoring 'lsusb' output in Ubuntu can also tell you the name of the USB drive. Usually these devices appear with the same name in the boot options as in lsusb (well.. only part of its output).
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

I tried each of the options in turn, but none of them booted from USB. I'm trying to figure out which one is supposed to be the correct one to do some troubleshooting. I've done a lot of booting from USB on other computer and never had an issue, but for some reason I have yet to get it to work with my System76 laptop.

lsusb doesn't give me anything with a name resembling any of the boot options -- am I missing something?

I used UNetbootin, which I've used successfully many times in the past, but maybe I'll try wiping the drive again and reinstall. I've already done it twice, but maybe third time's the charm.

Beans
    Hidden!

If your USB drive as it is now (made with Unetbootin) is booting other computers, it should boot the Gazelle too. If it doesn't, I don't think it is Unetbootin's fault.

If your USB drive as it is now (made with Unetbootin) does not boot other computers, try mkusb to flash the iso file to the USB drive.

Some USB drives do not boot some motherboards, while other USB drives will be happy booting that motherboard. So it is worthwhile trying another one or try chainloading. Maybe you can borrow a pendrive or get one that is known as a good booter. See these links

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...#Prerequisites
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...puter_from_USB

Howto help USB boot drives

Edit: In order to identify the manufacturer and model identification string of all mass storage devices including those connected via USB, you can run this command, which is used by mkusb8-rc2

Code:
    ls -l /dev/disk/by-id| grep [a-z]$|cut -d ' ' -f 10,12|sort -k2|grep -e \^a -e \^u|sed 's#../..#/dev#'
    Last edited by sudodus; July 25th, 2014 at 06:35 AM.

Beans

I had problems booting from a USB drive by setting boot priorities. It worked better for me to use the one time boot menu. Worth a try if you are currently changing priorities.