Thread: Total freeze using Firefox, new install 14.04

Beans

Total freeze using Firefox, new install 14.04

Hi All,

I've replaced an XP installation which was working fine, with Lubuntu 14.04. I tried Ubuntu first but it ran like a dog. Lubuntu is fine....

....until I start Firefox (29.0). Then - total freeze. Everything is locked, no keyboard, no mouse. Have to power off.

Found a similar report but it was Nvidia/Nouveau drivers - this is Radeon.

I thought I'd try Chromium instead, but that's weird as well, keyboard randomly stops working, only in Chromium. OK in all other apps at the same time, but switch back to Chromium and it doesn't see the key press. That doesn't happen in Firefox. Firefox just freezes the whole thing.

Don't have to be doing anything special - creating an account here on Ubuntu, it froze halfway through that. Power off reqd.

Software updater shows no new packages.

PC is an Asus T2, specs attached in the tar.gz along with installed pkgs. Was planning to give this to my dad to replace his XP machine but until it's stable, it's talking up my desk space.

lsb-release->
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 14.04 LTS"

uname ->
    Linux mrg-desktop 3.13.0-29-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 4 21:02:19 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

If anyone has any ideas, would be much appreciated.

Cheers

JF.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Total freeze using Firefox, new install 14.04

Not sure I can help you with the video stuff, but for chromium input methods, there is an ibus bug : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1307648
    Workaround : open a terminal and run ibus exit (needs to be done again at each new login, there are several ways to make it permanent that I have not tried).
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans

Thanks for that - it definitely solves the input issue in Chromium. Unfortunately then causes another after a minute or so - the mouse moves but buttons don't click, and can't tab between open windows although the keyboard works..weird! If I'm still in the terminal I can reboot though, or, it's power off.

I've just installed Chrome proper, just need something stable!

Ta

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Well, if the video drivers are playing too, I'm not sure what to suggest. Hopefully someone will come around. Maybe move your thread to Multimedia and Video, if you agree.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Perhaps try uninstalling flash plugin .. see if the freezes stop .. and then read up on flash freezes in linux Firefox.

Beans

Ok, ta. Could uninstall flash, don't mind trying, but it'll freeze on websites with no flash. Worth a pop I guess. Not sure it's a multimedia and video issue.

I've had Chrome on it all day and it's fine, no problems at all, so maybe that's the way to go. Just need to handover a working PC, don't want a support headache... Chrome seems to do the job so far...