Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Avoid Gender-Specific "Guys" on Ubuntu Forum?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Arrow Avoid Gender-Specific "Guys" on Ubuntu Forum?

Because I'm a guy and I feel the "guyness" of comradery, I sometimes use "guys."
    And if one IS referring to a guy, one SHOULD be gender-specific.

However, if reference is being made to forum participants, it is better to use a gender neutral term. I prefer "Ubuntees."

Women and LGBT participants on the forum could otherwise take umbrage.
    Aller Anfang ist schwer.

mini-itx; jetway mb; i3 Haswell @ 3.8 GHz; 16 GB Mushkin SODIMM; Samsung 850 Evo mSATA 500 GB ssd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Avoid Gender-Specific "Guys" on Ubuntu Forum?

Gender specificity is best avoided.

Interesting that you mentioned LGBT, since that is none of our business and doesn't need to enter the discussion at all.
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I try to name people simply as poster, or OP.
    Or something like that.
    If I can actually remember the poster I want to cite, then I use the poster's username.

We're pretty anonymous, so I can't trust either someone's avatar(like mine) nor the username.
    I mean a teenage girl can easily have a username like 'ole man doug', as it is easy for an old man to have a username like 'little miss sunshine'.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If talking about a forums user, I usually use a generic "they" or OP. Some people here use "she" for everyone, that is another way to do it
    If talking to them I usually use their username without assuming anything about gender unless they have made it public in some way.
    Lots of people assume that everyone is a male around here, lots of time they are right. Not always though, alway keep in mind the 5 (or whatever) % when posting.
    We also are multicultural and users come from all over the world from very different backgrounds, English not being their first language. Another one not to forget, in particular when "jokes" are not conveyed properly.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I was employed for years by a major UK high street retailer. Most of the employees in the stores were female. I have heard female supervisors use the term "guys" when speaking to a) a group of male employees; b) a mixed group of female and male employees; and c) a group of entirely female employees.

I am not so sure that it is accurate to insist that "guy" is a male gender noun.

Over time some gender specific nouns loose all gender. Some non-gender specific nouns become specific in gender. In middle English (11th to 14th century) the term 'girl' referred to a young person of either sex. It just goes to show.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I hear you all.

Although "guys" is in my mind primarliy a "male" word, I occasionally found myself using it in a gender-neutral way.

IMO,as long as discussions are friendly and respectful and within the forum CoC, and context doesn't suggest that another word might be better, there shouldn't be an issue.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I use "guys" when referring to anyone and I've seen a lot of people do it.

I have a gender-specific sounding name but it was an accident. Go figure.
    Be inspired by phreaking.
    http://tinyurl.com/about-phreaking
    And don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pretty_whistle View Post
    I have a gender-specific sounding name but it was an accident. Go figure.
    My given name is one of those that goes both ways. Like Chris, Pat, Bobby, Leslie, Michelle (in France), Charlie, and a host of others. Depending on where you're from, the name Robin leans more one way than the other. Where I come from it's a masculine name. My wife's name, believe it or not, is also Robin. And we both ordinarily use the term "guys" casually when talking to groups of people regardless of their gender.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On forums? Its best avoid this, I've been part of few forums of different genre such as; Manga Discussions and some serious general discussion ones over the years and in my experience, it is almost impossible to tell gender of person on internet (Yes, you can claim that you can find out who is who after just reading few lines from them, which is not entirely wrong IMO, but that is only limited to people who make it obvious)

Beans

This whole thread can start a firestorm. Best to leave it alone. I know I don't assume one means actual "men" when saying guys. Most people probably don't, especially on a somewhat anonymous forum.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast