Thread: Install Ubuntu 14.04 on Dell XPS8700

Beans

Install Ubuntu 14.04 on Dell XPS8700

Hi everyone, can anyone support me, what considerations I have take before to install Ubuntu 14.04 on my desktop Dell XPS 8700?

This is the description about my PC:

intel Core i5
    Graphic card AMD Radeon 7500
    8GB RAM

Please any advice really help with me, thanks a lot

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Install Ubuntu 14.04 on Dell XPS8700

If this will be the only OS on your PC, you can follow the default settings of the installation instructions on the installation medium. Read them carefully, don't rush yourself, and you will wind up with a working system. You have plenty of power in that system for just about anything you are likely to want to do with it! Good luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by egeezer View Post
    If this will be the only OS on your PC, you can follow the default settings of the installation instructions on the installation medium. Read them carefully, don't rush yourself, and you will wind up with a working system. You have plenty of power in that system for just about anything you are likely to want to do with it! Good luck!
    thank you sou much egeezer, and this is the only OS run on my PC, I need to install additional drivers?

Beans
    Distro

That can wait until you get the installation up and working. When you first boot up the CD, or DVD or USB that holds the installer, run the part that says Try Ubuntu Without Installing. That will let you see how it works on your machine, but it will run a LOT slower from the installation medium than it will when you get it installed - don't be disappointed at the performance. The reason for trying that is to make sure everything runs fine on your machine, and also to get used to what the new system looks like and how it behaves.

I remember very well the first time I installed Ubuntu (it was 8.10) - I was nervous and worried, but it went so nicely it turned out to be no challenge at all!

Once you have your system installed, you can look on your menu for a listing called Additional Drivers (or maybe it is Restricted drivers), and again, click on it, read what it has to offer, and make a choice. I don't know much about Radeon graphics, but you might try:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

Beans
    Distro

Added note: I just looked up that reference myself, and it looks like the open source driver built in to 14.04 will handle your card just fine.