Thread: Custom Kernel Compilation that only compiles parts currently used? Tips on compiling

Beans

Question Custom Kernel Compilation that only compiles parts currently used? Tips on compiling

It's been a while since compiling my own kernel, I remember there being some way to only select all the parts of the Linux kernel in compilation in one of the steps, how do I go about doing it? I'm trying to shake off the rust I have from not playing with Linux so much and wanted to make a custom kernel to help familiarize myself in some different ways. Does anyone know what I am talking about? I'm using 14.04 64 bit if that helps. I just don't want to have to spend a long time unchecking a majority of the drivers, modules, and other stuff. While we are at it, what are some tweaks and settings to the Ubuntu kernel to help out a Intel Core i3 Home theater PC using Intel integrated graphics. I want to get as much oomph out of it as possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Custom Kernel Compilation that only compiles parts currently used? Tips on compil

Hi and welcome to Ubuntu forums.

Are you thinking of this:
    Since the 2.6.32 kernel, a new feature allows you to update the configuration to only compile modules that are actually used in your system:

make localmodconfig
    which I got from here (I don't use it myself, but I do compile the kernel "the old-fashioned Debian way").
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Re: Custom Kernel Compilation that only compiles parts currently used? Tips on compil

YES!!!! That's the one I was thinking of! I needed it to slim down the HTPC kernel I have as it's pretty much never going to have new hardware