Thread: Extremely Poor Performance - Ubuntu 14.04 on Dell Mini 1010

Beans

Extremely Poor Performance - Ubuntu 14.04 on Dell Mini 1010

HELLO & Thanks for the Welcone.

I am a brand new Linux User - tho with considerable prior use of Windows and Chrome OS.

I have read all of the Forum Stickys and other sources; none of which is very encouraging; I don;t know where to go from here.

My machine [Dell Inspiron Mini 1010] uses the 'popular' integrated Intel (Poulsbo) graphics card and HD Audio Sound. I installed 14.04 about three weeks ago. The installation went smoothly, but Graphics are very very slow, and sound is extremely distorted.

Suggested next steps would be much appreciated.

Here are more details on my configuration as returned by a <inxi> query.

AND - Thanks in advance.

/Camillo

=====================

Graphics: Card: Intel System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
    X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@39.5hz
    GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

Audio: Card: Intel System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
    Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-
    =====================

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Extremely Poor Performance - Ubuntu 14.04 on Dell Mini 1010

The choices are:
    * Install a lighter desktop - like XFCE4 or LXDE and use it instead of Unity.
    * Install better graphics drivers that fully support the GPU available - not very likely.

On Linux/UNIX systems, the "environment" is just another program. It is NOT the OS. Swapping out the GUI layer for something lighter takes 3-5 minutes, then just select the other GUI on the login page - click on the "gear" to see the options after installing an alternate.

I don't know **anything** about Dell Minis - had an Asus Eee from 2009 and the video performance sucked - couldn't handle playback of any videos over 480p in resolution. I decided to run LXDE instead of Unity which worked great until 3 months ago when I upgraded to a current-Gen chromebook ($211), dropped Ubuntu 14.04 LXDE onto it and never looked back. My new system handles 1080p videos easily - because the more recent systems have better video support and a comparatively VERY FAST CPU, plus the automatically loaded Intel drivers sorta "just work." Couldn't comment on ChromeOS performance on the machine - ran it once enough to get a legacy boot to work and wiped it. If I were doing it again, I'd get a Dell 11inch laptop with the same CPU (and many, many more upgrade capabilities) - they were on sale for $280 over Xmas.

Reading your signature has me thinking that you completely understand the driver issue.

Things that appear similar to Windows usually are NOT the same under the covers in Linux and ChromeOS so very limiting ... well - you already know that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe
    That is an open source video driver that Ubuntu uses to fall back on if the graphic adapter cannot run Unity. We also get llvmpipe if there is some incompatibility with proprietary video drivers or when we run Recovery mode>Resume.

If Ubuntu was running of the "full" open source video driver (Nouveau) then the Details page would simply say "Gallium 0.4 on ..."

You can try experimenting with video drivers. You can run this command to see if the graphic adapter supports Unity

Code:
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    This is what I see when I run that test code

OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NVA5
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3

Not software rendered: yes
    Not blacklisted: yes
    GLX fbconfig: yes
    GLX texture from pixmap: yes
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program: yes
    GL fragment program: yes
    GL vertex buffer object: yes
    GL framebuffer object: yes
    GL version is 1.4+: yes

Unity 3D supported: yes
    By the way, NVA5 is an Nvidia code for my Nvidia graphic adapter.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Without any further suggestions - and considering my limited linux expertise, I think I will try loading a lighter configuration.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by camillo2 View Post
    Without any further suggestions - and considering my limited linux expertise, I think I will try loading a lighter configuration.
    All you need to do for this is
    * sudo aptitude update
    * sudo aptitude install lxde
    * logout
    * On the login page, click the "gear", select LXDE
    * Login as normal
    Be happy.
    Should take 3-5 min.

No need to reinstall the OS. You can clean up storage from Unity later.

Beans

TheFu said:
    All you need to do for this is

* sudo aptitude update
    * sudo aptitude install lxde
    * logout

BUT:
    "sudo aptitude update" returns "no such command aptitude"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Then insert "sudo apt-get install aptitude" at the beginning of the steps.
    Aptitude has been recommended by Debian developers for years, because it is smarter about dependencies and can solve some dependency problems that other front-ends to APT cannot.

Whenever you see "no such command" .... that is a hint to install it ... provided you know what the command does. Google can help with that. No need to wait for a response on a blog/forums to learn.

Beans

Thanx "TheFu" for your suggestions - the general gist of the suggestions was very helpful.

But after about 2 months of exasperation with Ubuntu 14 on the Dell Mini, I thought I would give Lubuntu a try.

SURPRISE ! It worked very well right out of the box! So far I am enjoying good graphics and Audio - Haven't tried video as yet. The distribution has Gallium 0.4 installed.

I am developing a bit more experience and confidence now and may try other desktops as time permits.

In the meantime, if there is anyone out there with linux on a Dell Mini [Inspiron] I would be happy to hear of their experience with that box.

Thanks again to TheFu and to Grahammechanical for their help and encouragement.