Thread: After purchasing a domain name what other costs are involved.

Beans

After purchasing a domain name what other costs are involved.

If I have already set up my own server and purchased a domain name what other costs are involved. Apart from electricity and my isp allowing me to run a server from my current broadband connection. Do I have to pay a yearly/monthly subscription to some other company.

Thanks
    @Mods I'm not sure where to post this thread, so please feel free to move this to the correct sub forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: After purchasing a domain name what other costs are involved.

Domains usually have a regular renewal fee. How much and how often can depend on who you registered the domain with.

Organizing a static IP address with your ISP can sometimes be helpful. This is likely to cost you money as well.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by J_Me View Post
    If I have already set up my own server and purchased a domain name what other costs are involved. Apart from electricity and my isp allowing me to run a server from my current broadband connection. Do I have to pay a yearly/monthly subscription to some other company.

Thanks
    @Mods I'm not sure where to post this thread, so please feel free to move this to the correct sub forum.
    There are 3 things needed to have a website/domain.
    * registered domain (commonly called a "registrar")
    * DNS that connect the domain to an IP -
    * hosting provider/server

Sounds like you are running the server at home ... so the ISP costs should be added.

The DNS may or may not be part of your registrar agreement. I don't know. Running your own DNS can be dangerous. I've been hacked over BIND. $20-$40/yr makes this problem go away. I like to keep the DNS and Registrar separate to prevent 1 company from having too much control over my websites. It is certainly easier to have an all-in-1 solution, however.

Registrar costs vary wildly from $2/yr (1st year only) to $100/yr. I normally renew my domains 90 days in advance of the expiration and buy 10 years at a time to keep annual costs to $7/yr. Why 90 days in advance? Some disreputable registrars lock accounts for the last 60 day of an agreement, making changing providers harder (called a "transfer").

So ... the costs for each of those things needs to be included.

Beans

Thanks for the replies, things are much clearer. And yes I'll be running this from home on a raspberry pi