Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WNA1000M wireless dongle not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: WNA1000M wireless dongle not working

Is the behavior changed at all with the ethernet disconnected? Does the card still scan?
    Code:
    sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
    We don't need to see all the results; just tell us if it sees them or, if not, the error message.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Yeah networks still show up if I scan. Another really weird thing is that, right after booting, the gui loads, a popup showing "You're disconnected" shows up and right after that another popup which says something along the lines of "there are wireless networks available click blablabla to connect" yet there's nothing there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It is my understanding that, as long as /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf says:
    Code:
    [main]
    plugins=ifupdown,keyfile,ofono
    dns=dnsmasq

[ifupdown]
    managed=false
    And as long as /etc/network/interfaces has no listing at all except:
    Code:
    # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    That then Network Manager should take off and run perfectly. Would you please recheck?

Are there any settings in Network Manager that you added to try to get a connection? Usually, they are not needed.
    Another really weird thing is that, right after booting, the gui loads, a popup showing "You're disconnected" shows up and right after that another popup which says something along the lines of "there are wireless networks available click blablabla to connect"
    That's the expected behavior. It is then waiting for you to click on your network; for instance GBR1 in the example above. It then ought to ask for your WPA2 password and connect.

May we also see:
    Code:
    ls /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/
    Last edited by chili555; June 9th, 2014 at 11:56 PM.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Lol omg I'm so retarded. Seriously you have to add this to "did you try and unplug your modem?" list. Right clicking network manager shows you nothing, just what I said it did, the last couple of options. So, I wanted to unplug my mouse and move it back to my other comp and accidently clicked the network with my left button and the dropdown menu showed up "D'oh" (>_

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Th3MadHatter View Post
    Lol omg I'm so retarded. Seriously you have to add this to "did you try and unplug your modem?" list. Right clicking network manager shows you nothing, just what I said it did, the last couple of options. So, I wanted to unplug my mouse and move it back to my other comp and accidently clicked the network with my left button and the dropdown menu showed up "D'oh" (>_
    I am happy it's working by whatever means. So you are all set?

Beans

Yeah it looks like its working, i'm having some troubles with the firewall, it pretty much doesn't load anything it did do on eth0 (like email doesn't work at all, browsing is eeexxttreemmeellyy slow) but it IS connected.
    Last edited by Th3MadHatter; June 10th, 2014 at 01:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm still not really "back", am almost certainly going to be too busy throughout this month to even check on the responses on threads I'm dealing with, but..
    Yeah it looks like its working, i'm having some troubles with the firewall, it pretty much doesn't load anything it did do on eth0 (like email doesn't work at all, browsing is eeexxttreemmeellyy slow) but it IS connected.
    ..are you sure it is firewall? Does it work better with firewall disabled or removed from in-between? Just curious.

And how about marking this thread as [SOLVED] if the problem is indeed the firewall? Using "Thread Tools" link above the top post on the page.

PS: Thanks for taking care of this one Doc Chili ! I had given up even if I had more time.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Sorry for the late reply, been kind of busy so I kinda forgot . I haven't had to much time to fondle around with it but it does seem like ufw slows things down, even when properly forwarded. My normal wifi devices load pages with a load average of about 0.30, 0.46, 0.56 (picked a random site that's actually pretty slow so numbers should be better then this) but loading things with the firewall turned hits the time-out rate of both firefox and thunderbird (think firefox times out at, like, 60 seconds and thunderbird at 90? something like that) atleast 8/10 times, it seemed slightly less when I turned the firewall off, timed out about 5/10 times. But like I said, I haven't had the time to thoroughly test it yet. If I can't figure out what's causing it I'll be back ofcourse . I'll mark this one as solved though because the initial problem IS solved, it does connect .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123