Thread: Sometimes I get high CPU load

Beans

Exclamation Sometimes I get high CPU load

Hello everyone.

I noticed that sometimes when browsing (with other processes in the background), I get very high CPU load for the browser process (over 100%) so the computer becomes really slow. I tried switching from Firefox (with just a few extensions) to Chromium, but same thing happens without me visiting graphics-intense sites, flash sites or anything like that. It is not related to the number of tabs. I also noticed python or node (when running "make") produce the same high CPU load from time to time so this is not necessarily browser-related.

Closing all the applications (and have no weird CPU usage displayed), my computer is still very slow. I have to reboot in order to restore performance.

When I only have a browser open, it doesn't seem to happen and everything is fine in Windows 7. I switched from unity to gnome3 with no effect.

Specs: lenovo w510 (4gb RAM, i7 q820 @ 1.73) + up to date Ubuntu 14.04 64bit.

Printscreen:

Do you guys have any idea why this might happen? Please let me know if there's other info you need.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Sometimes I get high CPU load

Have you enable the nvidia driver?

Beans

Thanks for the reply, philinux.

Yes, I am using the recommended driver for my device:
    using nvidia binary driver - version 331.38 from nvidia-331 (proprietary, tested).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Might be worth trying both without nvidia driver I.e use nouveax and the nvidia updates version.

Beans

Tried switching to these drivers but no change:
    - nvidia binary driver - version 331.38 from nvidia-331-updates (proprietary)
    - x.org x server - nouveau display driver from xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (open source)

Any other idea?

Beans

This is driving me crazy, making me switch back to Windows instead.

My CPU usage is at this moment:
    52% firefox with 3 tabs
    25% vlc playing an online radio
    13% htop

Why are these taking so much CPU ?

Beans

I have pretty much the same set up W510 Same i7 q820 @ 1.73 and 14.04 64bit and the same NVIDA 311.38. I have 12 gigs of ram though I don't know if that is the difference but may be try a different build? A fresh install of X/Lubuntu 14.04? It sounds crummy though. Try messing with the F1 menu on boot? There might be some options there that could help. Good luck! And don't give up!