Thread: icons on desktop

Beans

icons on desktop

I would like to put some program icons on the desktop but have failed. I have tried dragging them from unity and unity to no avail. I would also like to have a folder with program links in it. I have searched and read stuff but nothing seems to work.

thank you.........

Beans

Re: icons on desktop

Copy the desired files from /usr/share/applications/ to $HOME/Desktop/ or create a folder ~/Desktop/FOLDERNAME/ if you prefer and use this folder as target.

Beans

I will give that a try - thank you!

Beans

Just put the launcher icons on the dock, this is what it is for. If you put the launcher on the desktop not only is it cluttering and ugly it is not actually that efficient to access since you would have to minimize your open windows to get to the desktop. With Unity you can either access the apps with the dock or with a press of the super key to reveal the dash to show recently used applications. A lot of work has gone into its design, please give it a chance instead of immediately trying to do things in the inferior XP way by scattering launchers randomly all over the places.

Beans

Thanks for the reply. When I press the super key it simply numbers the dash icons (to 9, I think), it does not show recently used applications if I hold the key down, otherwise it takes me to unity and tells me it is showing recently used software which is really not all that recently used. I have been dealing with this thing for almost a year and its driving me nuts. I would feel better about the whole thing if, for instance, they allowed 2 rows instead of just one but I don't think that is possible.

Beans

it will show the dash if you just tab the super key instead of holding it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You can add an app to the Unity launcher called "Drawers". This app allows you to add multiple app launchers, url links, whatever to a "folder" that is tucked neatly into the Unity launcher.

Beans

First - thanks for the replies! Special thanks to bug67 for 'drawers' (genuis!!) One more apology - for closing this but, I think, it is now well and truly done. thanks again!!

Beans

you can put your Program icons on Desktop tray. which comes by default in ubuntu. that is easy to use.