Thread: Steam problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Steam problems

I just installed Mint 17 Mate version and I'm trying to install Steam. I've tried installing in the software center and I've tried installing from the steampowered.com site and either way my results are the same. It appears to install fine but when I go to double-click the icon on my desktop, nothing happens. It doesn't respond in any way. My hard drive does nothing. When I go into the menu and launch it from there, same thing. Any help would be most appreciated.

Beans

Re: Steam problems

open a terminal session and run steam from there. See if it opens/logs any errors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sorry, I'm not real proficient in the terminal. I would have no idea how to find the right directory or type the right command but I'm open for following instructions.

Beans

Found this quickly, give it a read.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mazate View Post
    Sorry, I'm not real proficient in the terminal. I would have no idea how to find the right directory or type the right command but I'm open for following instructions.
    Open your Start Menu like you would in Windows go to Accessories > find Terminal and click on it, then just type steam in the terminal window, its that easy All output will be display in this terminal, so if you encounter any errors it will be displayed here.
    Last edited by Joel_Ross; June 1st, 2014 at 02:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sorry, I may have given a false impression of being more inept than I really am with the terminal. I can do basic stuff and what I don't know how to do I can usually find instructions for, this current issue being an exception. Here is the output when I type Steam into the terminal.

Code:
    $ steam
    Running Steam on linuxmint 17 64-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0_client)
    Uploading dump (out-of-process) [proxy '']
    /tmp/dumps/crash_20140601061935_1.dmp
    /home/david/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 755:  8608 Segmentation fault      $STEAM_DEBUGGER "$STEAMROOT/$PLATFORM/$STEAMEXE" "$@"
    mv: cannot stat ‘/home/david/.steam/registry.vdf’: No such file or directory
    Installing bootstrap /home/david/.local/share/Steam/bootstrap.tar.xz
    Reset complete!
    Restarting Steam by request...
    Running Steam on linuxmint 17 64-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME has been set by the user to: /home/david/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0_client)
    Uploading dump (out-of-process) [proxy '']
    /tmp/dumps/crash_20140601061937_1.dmp
    /home/david/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 755:  8733 Segmentation fault      $STEAM_DEBUGGER "$STEAMROOT/$PLATFORM/$STEAMEXE" "$@"
    Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yes
    response: CrashID=bp-28040f0e-2719-4f19-bd19-6f9002140601
    Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yes
    response: CrashID=bp-0b88badb-ed87-4bc0-a729-dc9442140601

Beans

Run this from terminal:

Code:
    locate libGL.so.1
    And post output here

There is a resloved issue here https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...ux/issues/3020 regrading the location of the libGL.so.1

Also a new issue here https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...ux/issues/3340 it's worth signing up with github if not already as this is where alot of open source projects are moving too, keep an eye on this post as it may be resloved correctly.

Hope this helps

Joel

EDIT: Just noticed an update for steam, might be worth updating and see if that fixes it.
    Last edited by Joel_Ross; June 2nd, 2014 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Just noticed an update for steam