Thread: BBC iplayer - black screen

Beans

BBC iplayer - black screen

Hi there,

I've recently bought a new computer, and installed Ubuntu 14.04 on it. However, I have been unable to stream videos on BBC iplayer. When I load a programme page, I simply get a black screen where the video should be (see image below). My flash player is 11.2.202.359, which should be fine. I haven't encountered this problem on any other video streaming websites I've tried, and I've been unable to find anyone who's encountered similar problems. Does anyone have any ideas what might be happening and what I could do to fix it?
    Thanks in advance,

Screenshot from 2014-05-31 15:54:18.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: BBC iplayer - black screen

Tried a range of different browsers to see if the problem is browser specific?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Hello and Welcome

Chrome loads the videos I tested, but only radio is available due to location and message is displayed about location restrictions . There are some solved threads in regards to this problem and would search to locate them. I found some results pointing to this forum.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

PIPELIGHT

Google it. It is a WINE wrapper designed to run Silverlight, Flash, and other browser based plugins

Beans

Hi sean, if you try not using HTTPS (i.e. http://bbc.in/1hJUisA) you might have more joy. iPlayer doesn't play nice over SSL yet.

Beans

Hi all, thanks for your comments, it was just because I was using https everywhere. Sorted now. D'oh!