Thread: My Computer or File System, how to get to?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

My Computer or File System, how to get to?

In Ubuntu 12.04 LTS I could get to "my computer" and access the other partitions (Win7, Winboot, WinRestore, and others). In 14.04 LTS I can not find either "My Computer" or "File System" nor can I get to these partitions. Where did the Ubuntu people hide this function? I can only go back as far as "Home" directory. I can not even find /etc and other Linux files.

So my question is how do I access these files and partitions? It was simple and now it is confusing.
    Using POP!_OS 20.04, which is basically Ubuntu 20.04 with some help from System76.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: My Computer or File System, how to get to?

Don't you see any familiar looking icons at left side of your file manager?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I do not have this problem. The partitions in my two hard disks appear as volumns in the Launcher and with a right click I can select Open which will load File Manager showing the folders and files in that partition.

If I open File Manager I have a left sidebar that also shows the partitions as volumns. They are listed under Devices and at the bottom of the list is Computer. Selecting that will open up a window with all the system folders.

Do you have that sidepanel? Pressing F9 when File Manager is open and given the focus will reveal or hide the sidepanel. Or we can go to the File Manager View menu and tick Show Sidebar.

Nothing has been hidden by the Ubuntu developers but we do have a different version of Gnome Nautilus (File Manager) that does look and work differently from the version in 12.04 LTS.

Please confirm that you have a Launcher and that the volumns that represent partitions have not been unlocked from the Launcher and that you have a File Manager with a Sidebar that does not show those same volumns/partitions.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

grahammechanical : Well when I opend the file manager and pressed [F9] I did indeed get a side panel that has those partitions listed. I see what you mean that GNOME is diferent with this version. Now if the documentation would follow so that we can stay up to speed without having to fool around finding the new ways of doing stuff.

I appreciate you help.
    Using POP!_OS 20.04, which is basically Ubuntu 20.04 with some help from System76.