Thread: Install Fresh Player Plugin in Ubuntu via PPA (this is a pepper flash wrapper FF)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Install Fresh Player Plugin in Ubuntu via PPA (this is a pepper flash wrapper FF)

http://m.webupd8.org/2014/05/install...n-ubuntu.html?

This is still alpha stuff for testing but looks very promising.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Install Fresh Player Plugin in Ubuntu via PPA (this is a pepper flash wrapper FF)

It's look very promising indeed. But the inexperienced user (such as me) should wait until it's fully tested and ready to replace the Flash Player 11.2 plugin.

Beans

Re: Install Fresh Player Plugin in Ubuntu via PPA (this is a pepper flash wrapper FF)

Pipelight is better

It does both Silverlight and Flash and it does a great job at it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by q64ceo View Post
    Pipelight is better

...unless, like me, you refuse to run Silverlight due to its security holes, resource hogging, memory leakage and general awfulness. I already find Flash a necessary evil and don't want to add Silverlight, which is, by and large, an unnecessary one. Thank goodness most sites can run perfectly fine without Silverlight and those that insist upon it can be avoided or ignored (at least, in my experience). It's nice to see that more sites are switching to HTML5 and even Flash could be on the way out, which at some point, will allow me to turf it from my browser as well.

<Disclosure> I admit that there aren't too many as paranoid as me, and even my wife insists on her full complement of scripting services. I'm a lonely Cassandra squeaking away about impending doom while the rest of the world happily embraces every scripting tool it can lay its hands on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by q64ceo View Post
    Pipelight is better

Actually no. There are sites that require pipelight-flash (drmed streams) but pipelight-flash often has small glitches like buttons don't work etc and it doesn't load as fast. So when native flash works, which is way over 90% of time (whether NPAPI flash or pepper-flash) it is usually better.

Silverlight is only for netflix, and netflix is garbage in terms of selections. I have a subscription but mainly for testing pipelight as I try to switch my friends away from Windows and many do watch netflix. I do think that pipelight is great as it allows Linux users to access materials that are normally denied to them and thus enhances Linux as a platform.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 1st, 2014 at 11:02 AM.